• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet Bed

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Me again,

We`re having our new doe spayed soon and want to know if wood shavings are safe for her to lie on while she is in her cage recovering? She has her litter tray with Beauticat litter in it and wood shavings on the floor. Should these be replaced with something such as Vet Bed so her stiches dont get infected or aggrivated?

When I got mine done, the vets have always said they should be fine on shavings (and or straw), but I have always put them on a vet-bed anyway as my 2 love them! :D

neutering

Kerri C said:
When I got mine done, the vets have always said they should be fine on shavings (and or straw), but I have always put them on a vet-bed anyway as my 2 love them! :D

When mine got done, i didnt put them back in their hutch for 2 days, they stayed in the kitchen in their pen, with blankets and carpet to lay on. ive read that shavings and straw etc may irriitate the wound.

heres some pics of their pen - it was in such a mess!!!
DSCF0039.jpg
DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg
DSCF0022.jpg

VetBed is very good and I always use it when taking mine on car journeys. I use it around the house too but they do sometimes chew it rathar than sit on it... :roll:

Thats what i thought, thanks everyone you`ve been a great help.

Another question though....sorry!!!

My buns have a cage and the hallways to run in in the daytime and are free range (so to speak!) in the evenings, do i need a pen for them aswell as a cage?

Sorry for all the questions but i think im confusing myself!!

Hi Sweetie, mine are the same as yours, but they have an 'area' rather than a cage - in the hallway - with their food tray and litter. At night, we put them in the hallway as they tend to do damage in the lounge. This means they have free run of the hallway/kitchen/bathroom. During the day, I let them into the lounge to sit under the table (their favourite place in the world!) as they tend to be less active and just sleep. They also have various cat beds/VetBeds/dog beds/rugs/tunnels etc etc to sit on/in.

I hope they are happy this way - I often think that Oli would perhaps benefit from a cage/crate he could 'call his own', as he's a little nervous (and he used to be a hutch bunny whereas Sylvia doesn't know any different and HATES feeling shut in), but we just don't have the space at the mo. And to be honest, I think they prefer it under the table! :wink:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I feel a lot better now! :D :D :D :wink:

Mine have an array of cardboard boxes which they hide in/under and have an 'igloo' type cat bed that they love to lie in at night.

With everyone talking about pens and runs i just started thinking that maybe I should get one but like you i dont have the room either.

They have their cage if they want a 'safe place' but their cat bed seems to be more than ok for them!!!

I think a pen is good if you have a lot of damagable stuff around that you don't want the buns to get at (or for that matter, stuff which could damage your buns).

I used a pen at Xmas when I took mine up to my parents' house (which is not particularly rabbit proof). They were allowed out in the day but in the pen at night... but guess what? Sylvia had obviously been taking escapology lessons before we got there - she just KEPT getting out, and once even jumped right over the top (3ft high - did a crash-landing on the sofa, most impressive). But if I had two bunnies like Oli they would have been absolutely fine. So I suppose it depends on the bun too! :wink:

I dont know what id do without this forum!!!

Looks like its vetbed shopping for me at the weekend!!

Ive seen some on the 'Index' website, 2 pieces for £9.99. As i have never bought it before does this sound reasonable?

That sounds a good price, think my 2 were about that price, I got mine from pets at home. They had all different sizes too and colours! I got the white ones, but wish I'd got a darker colour now cos their never out of the wash! PS does anyone know if you can wash them at a higher degree than 30 degrees? It said on the instructions that they had to be washed on a cool 30degree wash, but does that kill the germs? I daren't wash them any higher incase they fall apart or shrink?!! :?:

When we had our buns spayed we used a pet blanket (soft pet fleece) we have a large cat carrier, they are ok to go to the vets with straw/hay in the carrier. But when i picked them up to bring them home my vets prefered something soft for them to lie on. When is your bunny being spayed? we wish you luck :D

Back