• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What do you clever people think?

maryflynn

Warren Scout
Just wondering what to do with the babies at this stage? They are 7weeks old on sunday and I remember hearing that at 8 wks they can get each other pregnant n stuff :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :evil: :evil:

Really, really, really dont like the thought of all this incest lol, and havent managed to find homes yet so they are gonna stay with me n their mum a wee bit longer........yey!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D (Boyf not too hapy tho hahaha!)

When do I need to seperate boys from girls, and how would u recommend i do this, as im sure Mitsy is still feeding them? Is eight weeks right?

Cheers once more you crazy rabbit bunch :wink: :) :)

personally, i keep mine together until they were 9 weeks old, (doe to space)they were fine, youcan leave them together until 10 weeks old.

but at 10 weeks it is best to separate them, away from there mother totally, as out of habit they will continue to feed from her.

i have separated mine into sexes and they are now 13 weeks and doing fine. but they do not mix back with there litter mates or there mother, some times she will jump in there run and they still even now try to feed from her.

at the age of sexual materiry is when i believe they can make her or there sisters pregnant about 3.5 - 4 months olds. but can be neutered at 4 months old.

They can't get each other pregnant at 9 weeks. I think 16 weeks would be the earliest you need to worry about that. And then you would need to worry most about the boys with their Mum. And it would be older for larger breeds. Dutchies I think mature the fastest.

It is guinea pigs that can get pregnant from extremely young. You have to separate them at 3 weeks!!

Hi, They should be separated from mum at 8 weeks as they will have weaned by now. But you should move mum out the cage not the babies as this will stress them alot.
The babies, whether males or females, should be left with each other till 10 weeks, then they can go to their new homes separatley.
I wouldn't worry about getting each other pregnant, most bucks 'fire blanks' before 4-5 months ;) But if you do see a boy 'harrassing' a girl it would be best to then separate them.
I would say the boys would be able to co-habit with each other up until 12-14 weeks - I know someone with 2 bucks and they are 15 weeks and still living together, but it is always better not to risk it.
I would separate from mum at 8 weeks, separate sexes at 10 weeks and sell at 12 weeks.
HTH

Ok, I think thats helped thanx!

It looks like i need to but a separate hutch for mits then.. doh! :roll: :cry: :wink:

I have seen one of the boys mount some of them occasionally.. but not often.. but i guess i dont need 2 worry about that?

Its so hard looking for homes, im very 'motherly' now over them, i need them to be rehomed and yet i worry about where they go to, iv put a few on RR but no replies :(

So, erm.. anyone want a rabbit???

If they've been mounting mainly at feeding times it's probably a dominance thing or them getting over-excitied.
Rachel :lol:

maryflynn said:
Ok, I think thats helped thanx!

It looks like i need to but a separate hutch for mits then.. doh! :roll: :cry: :wink:

I have seen one of the boys mount some of them occasionally.. but not often.. but i guess i dont need 2 worry about that?

Its so hard looking for homes, im very 'motherly' now over them, i need them to be rehomed and yet i worry about where they go to, iv put a few on RR but no replies :(

So, erm.. anyone want a rabbit???

and some hutches to separate the sexes

I agree six weeks is old enough mum would have had enough by then.Split the sexes at ten weeks. Males can be castrated directly there testicals drop with is usualy 3 mths unless they are dutches then maybe earlier.Boys do not always get on together even castrated ones so be prepared just in case they dont it wont happen till they are adult. val

taylor v 109 said:
I agree six weeks is old enough mum would have had enough by then.Split the sexes at ten weeks. Males can be castrated directly there testicals drop with is usualy 3 mths unless they are dutches then maybe earlier.Boys do not always get on together even castrated ones so be prepared just in case they dont it wont happen till they are adult. val

i was allways told to leave the babies with mum for 8/10 weeks as not to cause stress to the babies, my doe was stressed when i took her babies from her at nine weeks and she could still see them, and my vet recommends to neuter boys at 4 months and did say 3 mths was to early.

I don't think Does have babies successfully until they are 9 months (well none of mine did anyway). I never had a limit time as to when I split them up - I did as they got bigger in size. You will normally see two kits mating but normally they are just playing as they are two young to do anything really.

I have not raised babies, but this is what I have been told:

8 weeks, take them away from mommy.
9 weeks separate girls from boys...
10 weeks to 12 weeks off to new homes if they are going.

Don't know if that helps but I thought I'd tell ya :)

There are no set rules as to how bring up kits. Just as there are not set rules on how we bring up our own kids. I think every breeder does what is most comfortable and what works out the best with then and there buns. Just as long as they are not fighting and getting pregnant then you are okay. But I don't think females can get pregnant or are even interested until around 9 months anyway.

They cannot breed until 12 weeks. You can seperate them from mom 6-8 weeks, leave them together until 12. Sex them at 12 weeks, and you can keep the does together for awhile if needed, bucks get their own cages. ^^

I've always worked it as 8 weeks away from mum.

10/12 weeks at the lastest sexed and seperated

16 weeks if they've dropped bucks neutered, does done at 6 months to give them time to grow.

I think some of you have been very lucky in not having more litters.

Back