• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Second Bunny Help

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Ive just had a unspayed female to go with my neutered male. Everything went well on the first meeting, she was mounting him, but, no fighting or anything but since we`ve got her home she hasnt left him alone. She constantly mounts him and hes getting a bit cheesed off with it. They havent snapped at each other or anything but i did find quite a bit of his fur on the floor in a clump, obviously shes pulled it out.
He doesnt really seem too interested in her at all. He just keeps running away when she comes anywhere near him.

Also, she keeps spraying everywhere! She was an outdoor rabbit before we had here so just went to the toilet in her run but now shes indoors shes going anywhere and everywhere! I know litter training isnt going to happen over night but i dont know it i can live with the spraying everywhere until she learns. So far shes done it on the doors, the carpet, in my other rabbits bed, on my other rabbit and on me and we only had her on wednesday!

We live in a flat so cant really afford for her to keep messing everywhere BUT if we have her spayed will it solve the problem? We are contemplating taking her back to the rspca foster home where we had her from because we cant risk anymore accidents.

Can anyone help with this please?

:(

After the hormones have settled down it should calm her down and she stop pestering your other bun. Neutered rabbits are easier to litter train so I'm told, some rabbits take longer than others, especially if she is not used to being an indoor bunny.

It won't be an overnight solution but is a step in the right direction.

It is also much better to have her speyed healthwise.

rabbits

Yes, neutering should solve this problem (correct me if im wrong) but it worked with my bunnies.

I first had 2 males and they were forever humping each other and spraying everywhere, so when they reached 5months i decided to get them neutered. The operations went well and they had a full recovery and they are now 'back to normal.' Ive read that after neutering you wont really notice a difference in behaviour until about 5-6 weeks time (this is for males, not sure about females)

Now they never hump each other (they only started to do that again when i introduced scampie, and he smells of all those rabbit hormaones as he hasn't been neuterd yet, and that sent my other two buns potty - they are ok with him now, but when scamp gets bigger/older i will get him neutered as well, although he is such a sweet bunnie and has never sprayed anywhere, he learnt from day 1 to use the litter tray :D :D ) and they never spray anywhere, all 3 buns use the litter tray, it took a while but we got there in the end!!!! :D they just poo everywhere instead!!! :shock: :? :?

A while ago, I too had a neutered male with an unspayed female and she did the same thing and would NOT leave him alone!! (she didnt spray though). It settled down within a few days, and they totally doted on each other. The only reason I didnt get her spayed was due to her being an old bunny (and this was going back a few years ago when I didnt know much), but I would get her spayed now due to the cancer risks.

i have exactly thing situation as well, my unspayed doe a neutered male, the is really interested in him and he is scared ****less of her, and rightly so, when trying to ond them in neutral space he would move his nose and she would bang her foot and mount him this behavioe we t on for so long, that i got feed up with it, shes treats every space like its hers, so i let them have the garden, and the other day they even shared her hutch for an hour.

from my experience and to cut a very long story short, try and just let them spend as much time together as possible maybe just put the hutches or cages on the floor oposite each other so they get used to each other and he gets used to seeing her, it has taken six months and she is going to be spayed soon, so i am waiting until after that to putt then together perminantly, and hopeing it should be a breeze :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Ive had everyone spayed/neutered as we've gone along - with the girls its about the same time (at least a month) for the hormones to get out of the system.

Do the behaviour and the mess calm down after the hormones are out of the system?

Im just worried about having her spayed and nothing changing so we have to give her up!

We live in a flat so putting them outside isnt an option. Our male is free to run in the hall and the kitchen (hes litter trained) while the new female bun is in the kitchen in his old cage.

Im also worried that if she keeps mounting him then he wont want to bond with her at all and if they dont bond then we cant keep her as we dont have enough room to keep them seperately.

I know it sounds as if im moaning but if they dont bond then its not fair on either to keep her. I just want to do the right thing by both of them

There can be alot of mounting during bonding. Sometimes it seems like everytime the other bun moves he/she gets jumped on. Generally this decreases as more intro's are done.

Are they perminantly together or living seperately and just having meetings? If so how many meetings have they had? How has her behaviour changed?

Gernerally spaying should improve spraying etc. but it doesn't come with a guarentee.

Tam

Thanks Tam,

The new bun lives in a cage in the kitchen while the other one has free run of the hall and the kitchen.

They have had three meetings so far, each about 1/2 hr long and apart from the mounting (??) they seem to be ok together. Its the spraying that is the problem.

Our original bun never did this as he was neutered as soon as he had 'grown up' :wink: so he has always been well behaved and used his litter tray, apart from the odd accident.

Spraying should be helped by neutering. It may also decrease as they spend more time together. The mounting it pretty normal, I would think you'll see that start to decrease within 2 or 3 more meetings. Its usually a gradual thing and some bonded pairs still do it occationally. Once she stops jumping him all the time you might see more couple like behaviour such as sitting together/grooming.

I'd give it a few more days/meetings and she how her behaviour changes then make you decision :)

the way i got sugar and crystal to get along was i put crystal in sugars hutch just after i cleaned it out whilst suagr was doing her thing in the garden by the time sugar went in it was a mixture of her scent and crystals so she really couldn't argue!!! she did hump her a bit but then that stopped after a couple of days and they were both licking each others ears and crystal massaging her back!!!!

Its great to see it!!! :lol:

Back