• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two questions

Hello everyone,

Got two questions.

My girls live in the same room I sleep in. I cannot move them into another room, as I haven't got one.

Xena really likes to dig in the litter tray at night. It's not hormonal, she's been speyed, I think she just wants out. Is there any way I can stop her doing this at night? I don't mind during the day, she can have all the fun she wants, then, but I've been woken up at random times (3 am, 5 am, etc) for the last week because of her digging. I've gotten up and sprayed her with the water pistol, but no luck. And every time I just about fall asleep she does it again...

Also, they keep weeing on their pillow. They have a cushion they sleep on, and are weeing on it more and more. It's becoming soaked! They're still laying on it, as well, so it can't be that great for their skin/coat. Anyone got any suggestions to encourage them NOT to wee on their sleeping cushion?!

It's rabbit instinct to dig, so that's why this behavior wasn't "fixed" after her spay. Can you give her an alternative digging box?

Well, she'll make noise in any box at night, so an alternate one won't really help.

I forgot to add that I know this is a normal behaviour (before it was thought she might be trying to get to the boy bunnies' smell, who'd been in the flat for a week).

Okay, so the problem is that you can't sleep! Aha! :D

Can you move her farther away from your bed? Maybe try ear plugs?

Whoops, wasn't to clean on that, was I? lol

They're about as far away as I can possibly put them. And all those stoopid earplugs keep falling out. I've tried them for years due to living in Student Halls, but no luck...*sigh*

Can you put something quieter in the box? Newspaper for example is really noisy where as organic compost might be quieter?

Tam

the problem with rabbits is they r most active in the morings and evening and during the afternoon maily is when they sleep so she will be active during this time so i would say the same as tamsin did and try to but someing quite in so it isnt as loud like tissue or shredded cloth
becky

Rabbits will be rabbits and even though mine are outdoor bunnies, I get woken up in the middle of the night by the jangly toy, thumping, throwing around of the litter tray etc. 8) :roll: Just hope the neighbours can't hear 'em :wink:

well, the thing is she pushes everything aside and digs onto the plastic bottom of the box. If she was just digging the hay I think it'd be a nice, theapeutic swishing noise. I'm actually beginning to worry she'll rip her nails on the plastic.

The funny thing is she's deciding to do it in the middle of the night, rather than early in the morning, more 3am than 5am. Prior to this, both really were most active when I expected them to, around 6am. This is something I accepted, as it's normal behaviour, and besides, gave me extra time to shower in the morning. ;)

No matter what I put in there, she'll dig to the bottom of whatever it is. It's a dog cage, so I removed the metal floor, and she'll dig down on the carpet underneath. I'm not exactly keen on holes in my carpet. lol

I'm really surprised it's not hurt her yet, as she really, really attacks the bottom of the tray!

How about putting an old bit of carpet in the bottom of the box? You could glue it down if needed :lol:

I seriously do think I'll do that, Tam. Excellent idea! Might go and get some tomorrow. Geez, why didn't I think of that! Blue Peter award goes to you, once again!

What an excellent idea! *walks off muttering*

wait...they wee in that box...that'll be a problem, as it'll soak the carpet...hmmmmmm...ideas?

earplugs ?

I know I couldn't sleep with any of mine in the bedroom. They wake me up already shifting litter trays around. I can recognize which set of rabbits it is from the direction. Two of the outdoor pairs have had their trays taken away they were so bad. I'd rather take longer cleaning out the whole hutch than listen to that :x I'm amazed the neighbours haven't complained.
And after recent talk of foxes I am waking up completely at every bang from outside :cry:

So actually it wouldn't help all that much if they were further away from you :roll: Maybe it'll help if you look at it like that :?

okay then a piece of vetbed in the bottom, you can stick that in the washing machine when they wee on it. Though you could probably do the same with a small piece of carpet. You should be able to get carpet off cuts at £1-2 or even fee so fairly cheap to replace.

Right, Blue Peter Tam, what's the best way to stick it to the bottom of the box and be able to take it out again? Mind you, I'm a DIY disaster...lol

Why didn't I think of this myself? I feel a bit dim...:D

Erm sticky back pads, childrens pva, a heavy brick... I'm not sure. My bunnies are always well behaved :wink: :lol: :shock:

Velcro - you can get sticky-backed velcro!

Stick one side to the bottom of the tray the other to the vetbed. Push them together and the velcro should hold the vetbed down, I should think it would still be washable but not at too high temps otherwise the glue holding the velcro to the vetbed will come off!

http://www.essentialscompany.co.uk/Velcro Products.html

Caz

Excellent! Thanks Caz! What a brilliant idea!

Anyone have any thoughts on the weeing on the cusion thing? I really don't think that lying on a urine-soaked squishie thing is good for coat nor skin... :?

Back