• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Half Hares in need of a home

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
5 Half Hares born in the house,

Mother a Hare, Father a rabbit,

4 Girls, 1 Boy, Boy is shy and not a people bunny,

3 Otter marked, 2 Agouti, three very friendly and smart.

All being clicker trained, and its working!

PM me more contact details, Babies in Portsmouth.

Gem x

Hi Gem,

A bit O/T here, but are these really half hares?

I was always told that it was not biologically feasible for succesful rabbit/true Hare matings to occur as the two species are incompatible?

Would be interested to know :D

If they are true hares it is likely that is possible they are able to mate but that any offspring produced will be infertile, which is what seperates them as two different species.
Like getting mules from horses and donkeys.

Nicola

I was also under the impression that hares and rabbits are totally different animals and can't breed together. If they can, are the babies born naked and helpless (like the rabbit) or fully developped and ready to go (like the hare)? Vera

That's what I am wondering. And I am also thinking if they were true hare crosses (which I still very much doubt is even possible), would they not all be agouti? I have a wild rabbit cross and Angel as well as all her sisters and brothers are agouti! It's a pretty dominant colour gene!

Vera

They are half Belgian Hare, Half Tri Colour Dutch.

May I add that they're not mine! I don't own Hares or Dutch

Clicker training is a form of positive reinforcement, so rewarding wanted behaviour using kind methods.

The clicker is used when a behaviour is being rewarded, so for example you want your bunny to come to you when called, when the bunny comes (or goes in the right direction if you are using shaping) you click the clicker and give a food treat. The clicker must become a conditioned reinforcer first by pairing it up with food, so the bunny learns it is the click that is the reward not just the food (which is the primary reinforcer). It associates the click, with the arrival of food, and the clicker soon becomes enough of a reinforcer for animals to work for it.

It's basically a way of training and can be used in all animals and is based on how an animal learns. There are lots of great books out there, especially ones by Karen Pryor as she introduced it to the dog world (originally she clicker trained dolphins). Sorry if the above was a bit technical, if you don't get it I'll try put it into plainer English!!! :)

If you want anymore info just PM me as I'm really into clicker training, well dogs and all animal training in general really!!

Nicola

nicolar said:
Clicker training is a form of positive reinforcement, so rewarding wanted behaviour using kind methods.

The clicker is used when a behaviour is being rewarded, so for example you want your bunny to come to you when called, when the bunny comes (or goes in the right direction if you are using shaping) you click the clicker and give a food treat. The clicker must become a conditioned reinforcer first by pairing it up with food, so the bunny learns it is the click that is the reward not just the food (which is the primary reinforcer). It associates the click, with the arrival of food, and the clicker soon becomes enough of a reinforcer for animals to work for it.

It's basically a way of training and can be used in all animals and is based on how an animal learns. There are lots of great books out there, especially ones by Karen Pryor as she introduced it to the dog world (originally she clicker trained dolphins). Sorry if the above was a bit technical, if you don't get it I'll try put it into plainer English!!! :)

If you want anymore info just PM me as I'm really into clicker training, well dogs and all animal training in general really!!

Nicola

Wow sounds great! My rabbit is really well litter trained but has an obsession with peeing on my bed or sofa...maybe the clicker could help stop him doing that!! I have to say..I'm a bit pathetic when it comes to telling him off...several duvet washes later and I still haven't managed to tell him off...hes just too cute!! :oops: :oops:

You would have to get him used to what the clicker means first, so by saying his name and then giving him a food treat (the food treat has to be something he will work for!). Then if you are at home a bit, reward him for weeing in his tray and no reward for weeing on the sofa or the bed!! Often animals won't understand why they are being told off (if you were to tell him off!) as we normally only tell them off after the act! So they then associate the negative response with whatever they are doing at the time. Or they get told off for weeing/pooing and in the case of a lot of dogs, then decide it isn't worth going to toilet in front of mum/dad as I just get shouted at! This is where problems arise so most of the time it's best to ignore unwanted behaviour and only reinforce wanted behaviour. Then you come onto things like extinction etc! And I must stop myself as I am now rambling! :lol: It's all very interesting and if you are interested there are loads of books out there on the subject.

Nicola

Thanks Nicola! Could you tell me which book as I'd like to look into it more.

The really odd thing is though, Darcy will always goes back to his litter tray to relieve himself normally - there are no yukky messes on the floor or anywhere else. He just actively seeks out my bed to wee on!!! :roll: He knows he shouldn't because I always say "no wee wees. I'm watching that tail" and he does stop - espectially when I put my hand to his tail to check if its up when i'm in bed and its dark.

The most fascinating thing is that he doesn't wee on the sofa when its bare - only when I put a throw or blanket on it and boy does he jump right in!!!

Sorry for rambling on a bit but its a relief to talk to someone about it that doesn't think I'm totally barking mad.....well i hope not! :oops:

No I def don't think ur mad!!! Sounds like he is scenting the throws/blankets you put on your sofa so that may be a hard one to get him out of!! Is he neutered? Reinforcement may help him to be doubly sure where the litter tray is, or perhaps don't let him on the bed until u have begun training and u can be sure he knows that he must def wee in his tray!!

Do you want a book specifically on clicker training or just general learning theory? Most of the books I own/ have read are about dogs + clicker training but obv the theory will work with rabbits. I will have a look round for you and find the book I think is best :D

A good book training wise is Hop to It - this is specifically aimed at bunny owners (although American) although I'm not sure it covers clicker training. But I will find something for ya :D

Nicola

Barking mad this girl is not - absolutely normal, just like the rest of us! Romy you are an absolute sweetie and I love to hear about the comic capers of Darcy, he has such a great home and life with you. My husband is for ever grumbling about the mishaps my animals make. Its quite handy really as I always have an elderly animal or two, or three...I can always say it is them who has made a little error, trouble is a couple of them do it every night. Cassi was having a little bounce in our sitting room this evening and he was shrieking 'Get that rabbit out it will be pooing everywhere', so of course I come out with the story she might not be with us much longer... Gosh, she has just bounced into the sitting room again, its ok he is out, but she is slightly incontinent......

Alice

I have just had a search on the Net and found some articles on clicker training rabbits etc. I'm gonna put them all together into a Word document so if you want a copy of it then I can email it to you? I'll finish searching once I've fed my hungry buns!!

Nicola

Back