• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Had the phonecall!

Tahra

Alpha Buck
Coco's come round from her spay/anasthetic just fine :D Doesnt matter how often you go through these things, the wait never gets any easier :?

Anyway its normal practice at my Vets now to keep the buns overnight after a spay to make sure they are eating ! Ive never had it before but its good they take the time with them. Hopefully she'll be even more pleased to see me and will have forgotten that I was the one to take her in the first place !
All the best to everyone else with the ongoing vets visits.

tahra x

Great news Tahra! But if you're anything like me, you'll not settle til she's back in your arms :roll: It's good that the vet is keeping an eye on her eating/pooing too, takes the pressure off you :wink: :lol:

Oh that must be a huge relief for you Tahra, bet you cannot wait to go and collect her tomorrow. :)
Best wishes and snuggles for Coco

Ah glad Coco came round OK :) My vets keeps buns in too after an op to check they are OK and eating fine. I def didn't settle until I had collected Pip, but at least I knew she was in good hands in case anything did go wrong. I may have to go through all this again a few weeks :(

Give Coco lots of bunny snuggles from me when u get her home :)

Nicola

Thats good news Tahra.. just one thing that I'm confused about. As she's at the Vets overnight - who is there to keep an eye and make sure she does eat & poop? Its really good that they are taking bunny care seriously.

luvabun said:
Thats good news Tahra.. just one thing that I'm confused about. As she's at the Vets overnight - who is there to keep an eye and make sure she does eat & poop? Its really good that they are taking bunny care seriously.

I think that quite a few vets have an over-night stayer on duty, I know of two vet practices (including our own) who have a rota system for vets staying in the practice overnight, I think it's a great idea.

bunnyhuggger said:
luvabun said:

I think that quite a few vets have an over-night stayer on duty, I know of two vet practices (including our own) who have a rota system for vets staying in the practice overnight, I think it's a great idea.
That is a good idea :) mine would prob friet being away from mummy though :lol:

That's great news! I can remember the day I got Fonzie spayed! I had to phone the vet after 3pm, so every time the phone rang I felt sick because I thought it might be the vet with some bad news! :shock: She was absolutely fine, though! A bit grumpy! :lol: It's really good that they're keeping your bunn in over night! I bet Coco can't wait for a huge hug and some nice veggies! :D

Take care & Blessed Be!!

There is normally a vet or a vet nurse who stays at practice over night and is 'on call'. They check the patients during the night and if there is a really sick animal, these will need meds during nights anyway so there has to be somebody there. Does obv depend on ur vets, mine now are great and I don't mind leaving her O/N but I wouldn't have been quite as happy with my previous vets keeping them in O/N after an op!

Nicola

yeah I have no probs in trusting our vets with her - I was just suprised since it wasnt their usual practice before. Must say I was glad when I found out it was my favourite vet on ops today! Anyway told them she doesnt like carrots and is very good about her hay ! ( She's even onto selective now Lynda!)

I'll pass on everyone's cuddles :D :D

OMG, its gratifying to see how enlightened Vets are becoming - an overnight nurse indeed, I've got visions of someone wrapped in a sleeping bag with the alarm set every couple of hours - bless.

One of my friends does the night shift sometimes at her vet practise, she was up every couple of hours one night to administer drugs, I don't think they get much sleep when they are on nigght duty!!!

It is good that vets do this, I always take her food in with her and last time I took her bed in too so she could smell home and had something comfy to sit on. Also took her a chew stick, when I went in to visit her that evening she had munched some out of it so I was very happy!! They also moved her to a bigger kennel at night and gave her a litter tray - just like a bunny hotel :D

Nicola

Back