• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Granofen dosage for EC

Alice

Warren Scout
The buns have been put on Granofen for EC (same drug as Panacur I believe) half gram each of powder once a day for 2 weeks.

I was suprised that they would need treatment for 2 weeks I thought it would be more like 5 days......Just wondering how long others have been pescribed this for........

The panacur we've been given for Abbie seems to be about 10 - 14 days worth of treatment. But then I'm not 100% sure - my missus gives the meds - I'm just there to hold Abbie and be wee'd on! I'll have a proper look tonight how much we were given.

I Checked with RWA when Sweepie was going through EC and they said fenbendazole-panacur was the only thing that worked and needed to be done for at least 28 days on the trot for it to be effective. I have noticed that some people have treated their bunnies for 6 weeks.

Angela

Russ Ab,

Yes, let me know how much you were given out of interest.......
I need to go back on the 26th for a check up so might mention to the vet then about whether they need further treatment to be on the safe side.

Thumps...I believe granofen is the same as Panacur and is the fenbendazole drug....but just a different brand name.

Hi Alice

I have never heard of Granofen, but I know that with panacur (fenbendazole) I always treat for 6 weeks minimum. Frances Harcourt Brown in her textbook of Rabbit Medicine recommends four weeks.

I know years ago, when Albendazole was used for e.c., it was for only five days, and I have to admit, it worked wonders on one of my rabbits in that short time - basically saved her life.

I don't think these things are cut and dried, and every vet will have his own experience and opinion. :)

Alice said:
Russ Ab,

Yes, let me know how much you were given out of interest.......

Had a look and it looks like we were given about 14 day's worth (well, 13.333333 days by my maths :D ). Sounds like that might not be enough. I'll see what the vet thinks tonight.

Back