• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heavy Duty - Rabbit safe cleaning products

Alice

Warren Scout
After our trip to the vets yesterday....they have confirmed that splats does have a bit of Kidney damage and could have been caused by EC so both bunnies are being treated.

I have heard that the spores can live on outside the body for a number of months so you have to be careful of reinfestation. I was going to give cage, run, water bowls and dishes a super clean this weekend but was wondering what to use.

I doubt that the usual cage cleaner that I use would be efective for this....does anyone know a product that would kill the spores but be safe for the buns....I read on one site earlier to use a 10% bleach solution and rinse well but that doesn't sound bunny safe to me.....

Does anyone know of anything suitable..........

What about Vircon? they use that in hospitals and vet practices I think. It is pretty tough and is supposed to kill viruses as well as bacteria. I am not sure if you can get it outside of a commercial establishment though.

Cathy

You should be able to get hold of Virkon and it kills just about everything. I used to work in a blood lab and it's the stuff we used to dispose of the human blood in. Turned it into a delightful tripe like substance. Be very careful when you're using it though, don't get it in your eyes, and don't let it splash your clothes as it bleaches.

I have some at work, but I'm not sure how legal it is to post it. :?

http://www.noahs-cupboard.co.uk/listing.asp?catno=4 sells ARK-KLENS and p&p is free - I got super fast delivery on the avipro and recovery I ordered the other day.

Or you can get proper pet virkon here:

http://www.animalmad.ltd.uk/Online_Catalogue_Disinfectants_2.html

I would think the virkon I use at work (work in a blood/cell lab too) is probably too strong for use near animals.

Problem is EC is a protozoa and I should imagine formes resistant cysts when outside a host - not many products will penetrate these cysts.

Caz

CJ/Bertie

Do you know if Virkon and Virkon S are the same thing....just phoned the local animal wholesale supplies, and their equestrian dept sells Vikon S sachets.

hey i work in a blood lab too! bit of a common theme here!

:lol:

no-one told me initially that virkon had bleach in it & i put it on my top once to remove a spot of blood :roll:

Back