• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A french lop or german lop??

Can someone tell me which breed is bigger out of a french lop and german lop, or are they roughly the same size??

what size hutch would you recommend for a bunny this size?

I think :roll: (Quote me people if i am wrong!!) the french lop is bigger, german lops are next in line for size thou!!!

missblondebunny said:

Huge. Easiest option is to go on Ebay and buy the biggest dog crate you can find. They're about half the price you can get dog crates for in the shop, and it's very hard to find an equivalent sized hutch for the same money. If he's to live outdoors, about the best hutch I found was this chap http://www.andymiff.ukonline.co.uk/giant.htm but I haven't ordered from them so I can't comment on the quality. I did email to ask about the possibility of getting a run attached but the blighter never replied.

French lops are totally adorable, I wish I could get one! There is a website called "www.hop-and-hutch.co.uk" and they have extremely HUGE hutches with runs attached and everything! However, they are quite expensive, and go to about £200 +. My buns live in a converted wendyhouse, and have loads of room to run around in, and even have 2 tier-hutches in there so they can hide! I bought it from the people who lived here before us, and even 2nd hand it cost me £250.00! I also have a huge dog cage which I got incase one of the buns was ill and needed to come indoors, but they prefer to hop around in the kitchen instead! :lol:

I had a frenchie years ago and she was such a softie!!!!

The only downfall is as with alot of bigger breeds they don't live as long as smaller ones :( but they a great breed!!! Daisy had to live in ahutch my grandad made for her it was huge!!!

Frencies are the best!! I'm totally biased tho!! They big softie giants. Frenchies are bigger than Germans. If you're keeping him/her inside maybe a dog pen would be better? xxxxxxxxxxx :D

Hiya,
This is just my personal opinion, but I would put a German in no less than 4' long by 2' wide (most pet-shop hutches are only 1.5' wide but it really makes a difference) and a Frenchie in 6' X 2' as these are alot bigger than the germans when you put them next to one another...the German is around 8lbs, the frenchie can get to 15lbs + depending if its from a breeder as the pet shop ones are uaually alot smaller.
HTH
Rachel

The 'Giant' hutch I linked to is 6ftx4ftx3ft and costs £150. It really was the best deal I found on a hutch that size. Dog crates are a lot cheaper, but no use if bunny is to live outdoors.

Bertie said:
missblondebunny said:

Huge. Easiest option is to go on Ebay and buy the biggest dog crate you can find. They're about half the price you can get dog crates for in the shop, and it's very hard to find an equivalent sized hutch for the same money. If he's to live outdoors, about the best hutch I found was this chap http://www.andymiff.ukonline.co.uk/giant.htm but I haven't ordered from them so I can't comment on the quality. I did email to ask about the possibility of getting a run attached but the blighter never replied.

Thanks for your help

Do you know this guys email address? The website is a bit crappy, :lol: :lol:

I have one of each. Frenchies are definately bigger but their size varies from rabbit to rabbit, mine is very small for the breed.

German lops are supposed to be very friendly (mine is)

a 4ft hutch is too small for a German Lop, I had him in a 5ft and wasnt happy with it. The Frenchie and German Lop now live in a 10ft x 2ft hutch.

The cheapest and best option though is a wendy house or shed if they are living outside.

I wouldnt spend £150 on a hutch for an outdoor bunny when you can get a very large shed which would be much more roomy for a large breed rabbit

hutches

ummm....

i have a friend who makes hutches so i may ask her for a price for a 6ft by 4ft by 3ft hutch, and il have a look at sheds as i can put some levels and attach a run to it aswell

Hi

If you are keeping bunny outside I would def opt for a shed if you can. My bun is quite big but not as big as the buns you are talking about and she lives in a shed. I wouldn't feel happy keeping her in a hutch, as most of the ones you buy still aren't adequate! Shed is also very easy to clean out, especially if they are litter trained.

Nicola

Sheds are far more better value for money space wise than hutches for outdoor bunnies
We can help you track down some nice sheds if you like :D
We line our sheds with lino for the floors and make a hop up shelf/ box that the bunnies can hop onto and hide inside to keep warm in a pile of hay :D
Dog baskets are great for big bunnies and we use these both indoors and outdoors inside teh sheds.
We have a French Lop as a house rabbit, and Tiger has a huge area of lino popped down over the carpet, surrounded by wire panels (that you can buy via the Rabbit Rehome web site) , Vet bed dotted around so he can lie down in comfort, and several huge baskets which he uses as litter trays. :D

bluebunny said:
I wouldnt spend £150 on a hutch for an outdoor bunny when you can get a very large shed which would be much more roomy for a large breed rabbit

I don't know how much it cost, but when we were looking at sheds (for us, not bunnies) we found a dog kennel shed that would be perfect for bunnies. It was a bit bigger than the average wendy house, wire fronted with a built in kennel section down one side. The kennel would make a lovely sleeping box and was enclosed to provide protection against the elements, the roof of the kennel was sturdy enough for bunny to play on, there was room left over for any modifications you might want to make (extra levels or storage), and room for bunny to hop about in. You might want to cover up the wire front a bit to protect against the elements, but if you used clear plastic you could still see the bunnies in there. Unfortunately there was no price attached to it. They had some really nice runs there too. I'll see if they have a website.

SHEDS

Yeah i would love it if you could help me find a nice/spacious/not too expensive shed.

Im having a hutch made for fudge and leo and that is costing £200. Its 2 level and both levels will be 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and its having a 4ft by 4ft run attached. Shes making it so i can remove the run easily for cleaning, and shes making a spare piece so the run can be used on its own, shes also making a base for my aswell, so the buns cant dig out while im at work. its also going to be a lovely yellow and terracota colour - shes starting it next week and i cant wait to see the finished reasult, its expensive but my buns are worth it and shes making it to how i want it.

Sheds are def a good idea, but they might have to fit in my garage aswell - dont know how bf will react if i stick a shed outside aswell, as we already have 2 garages and 2 sheds and they are all full of rubbish!!! so his letting me have the little garage for my buns!!!

sheds

COR BLIMEY!!!!

Yeah those sheds are expensive!!! they are all over £300 :lol: :lol:

I live in kent and they will only deliver to places above leicester. My mum lives in kettering but shes out of the delivery area by a few miles!!! :cry: :cry:

Not that i can afford a shed like that at the mo - im still paying for fudge and leos new hutch :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back