• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving Indoors

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi All,

Does anyone have any tips on moving an outdoors rabbit indoors?
We already have an indoor rabbit and have just picked up a friend for him but she has only ever lived outside. She seems to be very messy and just leaves her 'mark' everywhere.

Also, she keeps mounting her new friend and i think hes getting a bit cheesed off with it (hes been 'done'). They get on fine and will lie with each other occasionally but he really isnt impressed with the mounting!! Any ideas on that?

My latest two were kept outside - they seemed to adapt quickly. Violet litter trained herself and Cosmos was taught in a day. Everytime he made a mess I wiped it up with a tissue and put the tissue in his litter tray - he started peeing on this straw mat too so I took the hint and moved the mat into the litter tray and eventually he got the idea - by the end of the day he was using the litter tray. I find putting hay in the litter tray encourages them to leave their poo in it too, although they will scatter some around to mark their territory.

I didn't do anything except turn the thermostat on the radiator down in their room so it was quite cool then just increased it slowly over the week to get them used to the heat - they started to moult pretty quickly. Cosmos got through loads of water the first couple of days but has settled now and is drinking more normal amounts.

Caz

Chips was an outdoor bunny and we brought him home with us in January, on a very cold day indeed. He responded really well to it. A little too well actually. He wasn't neutered and moving indoors hit him like the first day of spring. I lost count of the number of times he squirted me. It's best to leave the heat very low at first, and then bring it up slowly, or you might end up with an over-heated bunny. Make sure there's plenty of water available and the room isn't too stuffy, and you should be fine.

It didn't take long before our mud-splattered, pee-stained outdoor bunny became the cleanest, whitest bunny in the world who sulks if you even hint at the possibility of putting him out in the run on a sunny afternoon.

Back