• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding and spaying!

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hello again,

Im adopting a female mini lop tomorrow as a friend for my neutered male lop. Cocoa (the new one) hasnt been spayed but Elvis (my bun) has.

Is it vital for us to have Cocoa spayed before they start bonding or can this be done at a later date being as Elvis is neutered?

It depends on how aggressive the new bunny is - Athena would have ripped Zeus (and me) to shreds if I hadn't had her spayed before properly bonding them. If she is really sweet natured you wouldn't need to spay straight away.

I assume your bunny was done a while ago so there is no chance of any little live ones down there ;) !

You can either bond them now and get her spayed later but this could mean having to split them for a bit after her op and this may distress them or doing it now and holding off on the bonding until she is healed (the dominance mounting could open her spay wound).

There are pros and cons to both ways!

Caz

Decisions decisions!!!

Elvis was done on 24th Jan. Our local RSPCA who we`re having Cocoa from said that there has been enough time between the op and getting Cocoa for them to bond without any baby scares!!

Am very tempted to have her spayed before they bond now as would hate for her wound to be disturbed. Can we still start the initial bonding before the op though? Say 10mins a night or something?

Can you put them where they can see and smell each other to get used to each other prior to the full bonding experience?

As Elvis now has full run of the flat he no longer lives in a cage, hence the fact that we now have room to adopt a new bun. We were going to put them on neutral ground for 10mins or so a night till she is spayed (if she turns out to be aggressive) and give them each a run around in seperate rooms (if that makes sense).

During this time Elvis will be in the hall (his new home) while Cocoa will be in her cage in the kitchen.

Does this sound ok?

Just take it nice and slow and you shouldnt have a problem.

As we have stated before we have bonded 4 doe's that wernt spayed and had no major problems.

So nice and slow is the order of the day.

Thats the plan...we dont want to rush in to it and ruin any potential friendship!

We`re getting Cocoa, our new bun from Rabbit Rehome, shes still on the website actually. Cant wait to get her. According to the RSPCA fosterers who are looking after her at the moment she is very affectionate and a lovely bun!

I would try and do as Jill advised!

I introduced Athena at the rescue center and it was obvious Zeus was in love so I went home with her. Cleaned out Zeus' rug, litter tray etc and moved his boxes around then put her cage beside his rug, in what he considers more human territory than his.

I got her spayed the next day and while she healed I left her in the cage beside his rug (she got exercise in a different room). When she was healed I did the proper meetings in neutral territory but I think seeing each other for those two weeks and being able to interact through her cage really helped soften Athena towards Zeus. He used to lie beside her cage for hours and it meant they got the benefit of company while we were at work that much sooner!

Caz

aawwww!!!

Thats so sweet. Elvis is such a placid loving bunny, im hoping that they hit it off straight away!

Does anyone the general price for spaying? It cost £42 to have Elvis neutered.

Back