• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

snowy wont stop biting!

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
Whenever I pick her up she's biting my clothes, or when I try and stroke her she's always trying to bite me and she even bites the wire from her drinking bottle and pulls it off! My other rabbit is'nt like it at all, I was wondering In the summer when I'm going to bond my two rabbit's, do you think snowy would be nipping smokey all the time, cos she nips everything else and smokey's stronger then snowy and I don't want there to be a accident! Or should I not bother bonding them at all..? :?: :!: :?: :?:

What sort of toys does she have? Try giving her plenty of other things to nip at :D Its difficult to guess how rabbits will react to each other. The cuddlest people bunnies can turn into attack rabbits when confronted with another bun or the other way around.

Tam

How old is snowy? I only ask because Roger and Jessica both went through stages of looking like they wanted to nip your fingers chance they got. They were both around six months old.

They either grew out of it or just got decided that lots of cuddles weren't that bad after all.

Hopefully your rabbit will do the same

Betty

i find that mine bit if they are scared, esspecially the new ones, they dont like being picked up, so try just siting wih snowy and try gaining her trust a little, if she realises no ones going to hurt her she should stop, is she spayed?

I've had snowy since november so I'd estimate she's about 5 months old, she is'nt spayed but I was thinking of doing it when she's older, would this stop the nipping? I give her lots of shredded paper and toilet roll thingies but she still nips, oh well I hope she'll grow out of it.

I don't think I can afford to get both spayed so who do you think I should spay?
- snowy (the nipper, very hyperactive, always running around, quite small and fragile.)
or
-smokey (very territorial, nervous, sturdy, strong and a bit of a fighter.)

Although you can spay them from 6 months it doesn't mean they have to be spayed at that age. It would be fine to get one done now and another in 6 months time. That way you can spread the cost or put abit away each week for the second one.

Tam

I think thats a good suggestion from Tams. The general opinion is that its best to have does spayed to prevent cancer and also, if Bugsy's wee is anything to go by, you'd want to neuter the male pretty quick as well -
un-neutered bucks wee stinks!!!!

not definately no, but it can cure some behavioral problems, the main reason people spay or neuter there rabbits, is to stop unwanted litters and to prevent cancer.

Spaying had it's good and bad points for Ozzie....... it completely stopped in spraying and he is now fully litter trained........ but a few days after the op he STARTED biting.... he never bit before. It's still important to have it done in my eyes, purely because the chance of cancer is reduced.

Back