• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hare coursing.

rabshan

Mama Doe
Today for (hopefully) the last time the revolting "waterloo cup" was run, this invovlves captive hares being released to be chased by lurchers (sorry lurcher fans) if they get caught then they are ripped to peices & you can hear the screams of terror as this happens, but at least this will NOT happen again. So to all of us who have campaigned for action to stop this event lets give three cheers & hope that the hares will be left in peace.

I think it is a great shame this event had to happen today, (Or any day for that matter :cry: )..it is Valentines the Day of Love after all, and this is far from showing love or compassion to an animal.

Thank goodness and well done to everyone involved in changing the Law re Hare coursing.
May all Hares enjoy the green fields in peace from this day on :D

great news, but heard they are thinking of just modernising it so it can restart again soon, i would wonder how they could and just hope they come up with nothing

I feel sick just thinking about hare coursing. It has to be one of the most revolting activities ever. I hope the police will take its illegality seriously and stop these sadistic people from continuing.

They showed it on central news tonight :( they did not even warn the viewers :( my daughter, oh and me were horrified to see the hare being caught by two dogs :( :cry: :cry: I would love to see some of those sick people who see this sport as fun, plonked in the middle of an arena with a load of lions, see how they like it, I bet they would not see it as sporting fun then

The hunter becomes the hunted oh dear!!

Sta.gif

I heard about the Hare Chase on the news yesterday and just as like any form of hunting it made me really sad that this goes on.

I was also reading in the paper that even though the Hunting with Dogs ban comes into force from Friday (I think) - many Hunts are going to continue and use very means they can to continue the sport. I can see problems ahead with this as it seems that the only way that the police will enforce the law is if someone comes forward with hard evidence that a hunt has taken place and the police themselves are saying they will be hard stretched to carry out any monitoring or respond to complaints :( :(

I'm sure there'll be a lot of hunt sabs out with cameras, and there'll probably be a push for a prosecution so as to set the example they need to ensure people take it seriously. If the cases get thrown out of court then the law will just be ignored, so the government really needs to come down hard on the first groups to break the ban.

These people who enjoy hunting make me totally sick. :cry: :cry:

I was watching GMTV the other morning and some idiot designer was on there saying he doesn't agree with making fur coats out of leopards etc but thinks its fine to use Rabbit fur as they are just "farmed". I threw my shoe at the tv I was so mad!!! :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You kind of wonder at some of the picture editors of papers too...Hopefully putting a hare being chased greyhounds on the front page (Metro) sickens people who might previously not been concerned about it. But all these fashion photos ?? Its hard to tell if they are condemning or condoning it. The headlines are all about fashion using fur again and we see Naomi Campbell walking over a catwalk covered in hides or Ms Jagger with what looked like a very small (young???) fox pelt over her shoulder - but is that helping to disgust folks or just advertise the clothes ?????

Mt step-dad was talking to me about hare coursing. He's a big blood sports man and is in the Countryside Alliance :roll: . However he's a great admirer of hares. He was telling me that the point of hare coursing *when done properly* isn't to kill the hare but is to see the performance of the dog. He said that hares would only be killed if they were too old or sick to get back down their bolt-holes because they weren't fast enough. Of course it's possible that some of the people who course (like the ones in the media) deliberately try and kill the hares.

This doesn't mean it's not a cruel sport. I rank it higher than fox hunting only because, although the hare is put under enormous stress, it is not run to exhaustion and not in most cases caught and ripped apart.

I would be quite happy to see all sports banned that use animals for no other purpose than people's amusement.

Edited cos I don't think I explained myself very well and people got the impression I was condoning it!!

Hi Nix...so are you saying that its alright to subject a hare to being chased & terrfied, maybe ripped to shreds if they are unlucky enough not to be able to outrun their persuers just So the dogs can prove who is the quickest (if they want to test a greyhound for speed why not race it thats what the tracks are for) The whole point of this thread is the cruelty invovlved in this "sport" which I regard as worse than fox hunting, these hares are trapped & then released for the dogs to chase. a fox is in its natural habitat which it knows & can perhaps escape, the hare has only one chance of freedom & that is to flee for its life as fast as it can. I hope your step-dad can live with himself for taking part in such a barbaric event.

I think its great that this event has been banned.

I just want to make one point in that they use Greyhounds not Lurchers.

Also the Hare's aren't captive bred. There wild caught Hare's that are caged and let loose at the time of the race.

Louise

This is an awful sport, so glad it's been stopped!!

They do use Lurchers, I saw a few in rescue who had been taken from a man who used them for hare coursing, they are a very popular breed used for this sport.

Nicola

Nix I do not understand your point of view at all. There is no explanation other than this is CRUEL!!!! I depise all of those that take part, watch or bet on anything like this I get so angry. I can't believe that you being such an animal lover could have that view about Hare Coursing!!!!!! :evil:

Mr T said:
I found this terrible photo, do you think its real??

charles-camilla.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: that would make such a good wedding invitation print :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back