• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scanning Photos

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I hoped somebody might be able to help me with my scanning problem.

I've been trying to scan some old photos that I want to put onto my new personal freeweb site that I'm currently creating.
However! No matter what I do ie cropping/editing the image I can't get rid of the really annoying black background that my photo is scanned against (the scanner just seems to naturally add a page worth of this background when all I want is just my photo!) So therefore, when I'm trying to add it to my site I've got the pic I want but with a load of black page with it!! It's so annoying!! :shock:

So is it because I'm not doing something right or just that I've got a stupid old scanner with a near non-existent programme???!! Help!!!!!

Usually there is a option when you preview the scan to let you select the area you want scanned. If you can't find that then you can crop the image after scanning to remove the background.

What scanner/software are you using?

Scanners can be a bit annoying to say the least ( and I work with them everyday...) Id say check your default settings, if you're cropping it on the preview and still getting the background with your scan then it must be defaulting back to the full flatbed. If you have no luck there, try putting your photo in the middle of the glass and place a white piece of paper on top of it. At least this way your image will be centered and hopefully less distracting. Then do your cropping in photoshop; if you dont have that then there might be a croping tool in Paint....

Hope this kindof helps.....

Thankyou!
I've cracked it (well with both of your help :) )! I must have been having a 'blonde' moment and reading your replies made me realise that I hadn't been doing the preview part and selecting the area - doh!! :oops:

Back