• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! (Don't think bad of us)

without_halo

Alpha Buck
Last night Ron jumped out of hubby's arms when he was kneeling and ended up with a cut on his lip/mouth (just below his nose).

It looks like a graze. We were not sure whether to take him to the vets last night. After about 5 minutes he was running around, drinking, pooing and eating as normal. Ginny was grooming him and he was also cleaning himself. We have also checked his front teeth and they look to be fine.

We check on him a couple time through the night, and this morning it look a little red and swollen.

I don't have anything to give him, so would a check up at the vets be in order.

Jode

Accidents happen it's not your fault, I've lost count of the amount of times Bea has fallen down the stairs. Just give them a call tell them what has happened and see what they think.

If it doesn't look too bad I would be tempted to bath it in salt water twice a day for a couple of days and see if it clears up, if it looks worse or doesn't appear to be healing then I would pop him in to the vets.

I keep cutting the quick when trimming my rabbits nails (usually one nail per rabbit :roll: ) - there is so much blood but they heal so fast and it never bothers them - I feel awful whenever I do it but as Tree said accidents happen and I am sure he will be fine!

Caz

Don't be silly! These things happen. Only the other week Merlin jumped from my arms and fell (something he's never done before so it took me by complete surprise) and after a check over at the vet (always good to go/ring to help rest your mind a bit) he was given the thumbs up :) Admitedly I felt really guilty but these things happen so try not to worry.

Awww! Don't bunnies just worry the heck out of you?! :? I remember once when Fonzie was on the sofa, and she usually jumps off the actual seat bit, but this one night she went mental and pelted it off the arm of the sofa and all I heard was THUD! I was mortified! I went over to see if she was okay and she was holding her little paw up and she looked completely spaced out, so I put her in her cage straight away and kept an eye on her for a couple of hours. I took her to the vet the day after because I thought she might have broken something, but she was perfectly fine!! Crazy bunns!!! :roll:

I felt bad as one day when i was holding Skip he jumped down but got his nail caught in my jumper...his toe was pulled out of place and he was limbing and licking it. :( :(

Took him to the vets who said it may be broken or dislocated :( But within 1 hour he ws walking and flying around as normal :lol: but to this day he has a crooked toe....l felt so bad and cried when it happened.

OK while we're on a confessional of things that we've done to our buns and felt bad about......... when I first got Brody nearly 3 years ago, I lined her hutch with ceramic tiles to make it easier for cleaning. She got a claw caught in between them and it pulled the nail out - blood spurted everywhere. Needless to say, the tiles were quickly removed. You can imagine how bad I felt but she's had no problems with it since then. Main point is - I learnt. So don't feel bad and I nearly forgot, Brody is doing some pretty big leaps to escape the dreaded syringe.

Back