• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning bunnies' feet?

lauren K.

Young Bun
Kind of a silly question:

My bunnies' feet are dirty. They are black on the bottom just from hopping about on newspaper and on the floor. Is there any good way to clean just their feet?

You can use a wet wipe if you like. Your bun will probably take care of it themselves though when he/she next has a washing session :D

Tam

feet

Hi

I have a white albino, and he usually gets filthy!!! if his covered in muck, i normally bathe him in the bath with an inch of warm water. He doesn't seem to mind it much now, he will happily sit in the water while i scrub his feet. i use rabbit shampoo for his feet, and my fingers to scrub them.

Or if its just his feet, i usually go to the sink, run some warm water and hold the bunny in one arm and put him on his back and wash each foot in turn, until slighly whiter, again using the rabbit shampoo!!

You can also use a paste of cornflour and water on the feet. It is totally natural and him licking it off will clean the feet. It also has been said to settle the stomach.
8)

Well Mishka has just had her bath :D

She can't balance while she bends around to clean them, so we can't use some of the tips here.

We started by Caroline using warm water on a cloth while I held her, but they were so muddy it wasn't making much difference.
In the end we used the "inch of warm water" technique missblondbunny suggested which worked great and we soon got them clean. Just used water tho, no shampoo.

Mishka didn't take kindly to it, but as we put her to bed straight afterwards she soon forgot about it when she saw the food bowl. :wink: :lol:

Jeremy, just a thought, but have you tried propping her butt into a corner where she can lean into so she can have a go at cleaning herself. We did this with Daisy and he soon learned that he wouldn't fall over. We also sat with him on our laps and we'd prop him up then too so he could clean himself.

Back