• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best advice for Impaction avoidance?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
What a stressful morning! :shock:

Went to give Merlin his brekky this morning & knew something wasn't quite right when he totally ignored it. Laying down and not himself at all. Of course straight away I thought possible impaction. Rang the nurse and she said to get him straight down to the vets.

Luckily the bun vet was on duty - had a good listen and feel - said that it could possibly be impaction but not 100% that it is that. Gave him a jab to get his gut moving and an antibiotic jab in case anything else was going on.

Phew! Merlin came home and immediately started eating and hopping about and giving himself a good groom - so fingers crossed we're getting there!

Just wondered what the best advice anyone has ever been given about trying to avoid impaction happening again? Would appreciate any tips as I'm now paranoid that when I leave him to go away on my summer holiday - it might happen again! Nightmare! (Although he will be in good hands with my neighbour who's 'pet sat' all my buns over the years)!

:bunny:

hi how old is he and what does he eat? then we can tell you if anythink there maybe causing the impaction, i know rolled oats and sunflower seeds can cause impaction

eve x

His daily diet consists of Hay (available at all times), Supa Excel Forage, Supa Excel pellets and then various veges or fruits - carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, banana & strawberries (obviously not all on the same day! Fed in a variety ie carrot one day, cabbage the next etc).

I'm glad to say that tonight Merlin's tucked into his pellets and seems back to his bright, bubbly self - fingers crossed it'll continue :rabbit2:

As I said before whether it definately was an impaction or not, I don't know 100% but the drugs seemed to really help.

P.S! He's 1 on Friday :)

sonnet said:
His daily diet consists of Hay (available at all times), Supa Excel Forage, Supa Excel pellets and then various veges or fruits - carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, banana & strawberries (obviously not all on the same day! Fed in a variety ie carrot one day, cabbage the next etc).

I'm glad to say that tonight Merlin's tucked into his pellets and seems back to his bright, bubbly self - fingers crossed it'll continue :rabbit2:

As I said before whether it definately was an impaction or not, I don't know 100% but the drugs seemed to really help.

P.S! He's 1 on Friday :)

since he is one i would say start to mix his veg so he gets different veg at the same sitting, and i would take away the banana because that is a friut that can give some bunnies problems and if you want to give another fruit you could try apple (without pips) or grapes,tomatoes and see how he gets on without the banana....

Thanks for the advice - he's back off to the vets for a check up tonight & fingers crossed is back to his old self :)

Back