• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding does

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I was wondering whether it is possible to bond 2 does? I have been thinking of finding a companion for Niamh, however as I already have a pair of bonded males I thought it would be nice to have 2 of each!

All the rescue centres I have looked at only suggest bonding male and female :?

i would only suggest bonding females that are very young, i had two that lived together for 9 months until one passed away, but there were no males around. i once borrowed a run that had, had a male in it and when i put my girls in it they fought for the first time. so i would stay its hard and the best bonded pairs are male & female, could you not get two girls and separate into boys girl partnerships and you will still have two bonded pairs

Its not very fair on the rabbits to seperate two that have an established bond. Its probably best to get another boy really. Girl-boy bonds are easiest to do hence the rescues recommending them. If you do want to try a girl I'd suggest you find a rescue that you can take your girl along to so you can try them and see how they react. If they fight on sight its probably not going to work :)

Both does should also be spayed so you'll need to get yours done if she isn't already and the new one will need doing before intro's or you can probably find one already done if your adopting one.

Females can be very territorial over their home which is why it can be difficult to bond them.

Tam

As far as i know lilac and shadow did not live together before,kathy tried them together before they were spayed and they had a scuffle,after they were spayed they were put together and now they love each other
shadow humps lilac every now and then, but other than that they get on great aways grooming each other

Thanks for the responses. I'm having her speyed in a couple of weeks, had her injections today!

She is quite a sweet little thing, very good natured and not at all territorial with me if I fiddle with anything in her cage, so I think she could bond fairly easily.

Does anyone know of any rescues in Southern England that would let me take her along to meet other rabbits?

Their is loads :D Bobtails /Animal Lifeline in Surrey, Greenfields/Bracknell RR in Berkshire, ARC in Middlesex...

Tam

We have 4 doe's

To be honest we havent had any problems getting them all bonded we got them all at 6 month intervals, and have only had to have 2 of them spayed (that was due to hormones and not fighting )

In our experiance bonding does is very easy.

Infact while thinking of a reply to this post, I was able to take this picture

3does.jpg

Here we have our eldest Raz shareing the litter tray with Dusty and Bunty our 2 youngest.

With the exeption of mounting and domination problems on the first few introductions it all went very well, and now they all share everything.

Awww thats a lovely picture!!! Thats what I'd like to do eventually get the two pairs so that they can all run around together. I've tried with the 3 of them but there is always one bunny left out!

That is such a sweet photo :D Hopefully we're going to attempt to get Coco to bond ( at least be friends with) my existing pair, so it'll be a five year old girl , and eighteen month old boy then a two year old girl - I can forsee fireworks ! But Lynda has a gorgeous wee boy that my OH has said we can have too, so fingers crossed it'll end up two boy/girl pairs... who'll all live in harmony, or is that just wishful thinking ??

Anyway to get back to the original question. My two girls were sisters but that didnt stop the major fighting when the hormones hit. Once they'd been spayed and given a lot of time in seperate (but beside each other) cages it was all hunky dory. They got out at the same time accidently, went off exploring and came back best of friends !!!! Didnt stop the odd head humping over the next couple of years though :oops:

Hiya Tahra

Loads of good info for you here and it's sometimes difficult to know which way to go isn't it.

I do agree though boy/girl bondings are much easier - so unless you have loads of time and patience this might be the better option for you.

Buffs and Cagney are bonded does - it came about after Buffs lost Dillon her bonded pal and I'd just fell in love with Cagney from a Rescue Centre (The lovely Tracy in Warwickshire) - The bonding took a good few months especially because I wanted to take it slow as Buffy had been through so much being ill herself and loseing her mate. But with a little help (matey Adele) they eventually came together and are now lovely together and best mates.

Good Luck with your possible new bunny hunt.

Hi Romy, We got the litter tray from pets at home about 3 years ago. It was advertised as a cat twin litter tray or bath funny enough :D
it was quite cheap from what i can remember under £10 i think. I saw a t.v home improvement programe a while ago and a woman who had house bunnies had the same one. I havn't seen any in the store since, but i dont shop there often anymore only to get something small i may have forgotten to get which is very rare.

Talking about pets at home i did go into one today (we went to visit a friend in hospital) This was near shrewsbury, so quite a way from home to us. We went in for a look around, they were selling bunny cages which a lot of people have complained about as being dangerous for bunnies (with them getting there legs caught). So we called the manager and pointed it out to him. (so we did our good deed for the day) :D
The bunnies looked quite happy, they all had toys etc to play with and a bunny bumper tube which looked like the bunnies were enjoying. They had a huge food hopper and hay rack and were being fed timothy hay (there own brand).

I wish you the best of luck touie with your choice of bunny, i suppose its also down to luck in some cases. Im very lucky as all mine get along with each other and they dont fight. They all snuggle up together and we are lucky that theres no odd one out. We can only offer our own experiences as the choice is down to yourself at the end of the day :)

Also thankyou all for your nice comments about my bunny pic :D im very tired as its been a long stressful day as we had a 6 hour drive in total and that dont include visiting time :( so sorry if i reply quite late to posts sometimes. :D

Back