• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CBBC pet week complain PLEASE!

hiya all,

I was really hissed of to see CBBC having a pet week, so lets encourage children to nag parents to get them a pet, and then hand it into a rescue. I am so angery, fuming in fact, I already have a gardn full of unwanted kids pets but hey why not add more.

Can you all please inundate the BBC with complaints about this. It is shocking.

Thanks guys

Or contact them to change it to "adopt a pet week" - with proper rescues being involved etc so people don't adopt a pet without thinking it through!

Caz

pet week

I haven't watched CBBC for a few years! When are they planning this pet week for?

I think Caz's idea is an excellent one.

Janice

on cebeebies for the younger age group they have bunnies, Beebie and Braken.
They are indoors and the presenters are often shown feeding them, stroking etc.. they seem to have a large enclosure and I've never seen anything untoward, although thinking about it now it would be intresting to know where their "real" home is.

I could only find info relating to the BBC and last years National Pet Week which is supported by the Blue Cross and RSPCA?

Rather randomly I did find this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/wild/pets/rabbit.shtml

Bit basic but most of the essential info is there - it even mentions house rabbits and litter training - not to keen on their lifting technique but at least they emphasise supporting the rabbit's bum!!

Oh and they have this page too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/smile/furry/rabbits_index.shtml

Caz

I thought that pets were no longer allowed in schools as it was not a consistent environment and could be stressful for the pets. The guinea pigs in the nursery part of our school were rehomed because of this - this was when Amelia was in the nursery so would be 4 years ago. The rehoming was not a problem by the way as a mum used to take them home every night and bring them back in every morning and she kept them.

We had a classroom bunny when I was in infants. One day we came in and the bunny wasn't there anymore. The teacher told us she'd released him into the wild so he could be with his friends and family. We made her take us to where she'd released him so we could make sure he was happy and safe. It was quite a nice park, but we didn't see him anywhere, even though our teacher kept spotting him out of the corner of her eye. Looking back, I wonder if she was being entirely truthful with us. :(

I am hoping the por little fella went to a better place over the rainbow bridge and she just didn't have the heart to tell you or someone adopted him - I'd like to think she just made up that story about releasing him.

Caz

P.S. My schools never had proper pets as far as I can remember my science teacher kept goldfish (in her classroom) but there was never anything furry

We had fish, gerbils, hamsters and a tortoise in school. As a kid it was great to be able to take a pet home for the weekend (I wasn't allowed my own) but looking back on it I don't think it was at all good for the animals involved. A different home each weekend with nothing other than instructions to feed it, no information on care and certainly no idea what signs of illness to look for or any information on what to do if it was sick and needed a vet.

There are plenty of ways to give children the benefits of animals without having a classroom pet.

Tam

Tamsin said:
There are plenty of ways to give children the benefits of animals without having a classroom pet.

Tam

I completely agree Tamsin, the idea of having pets in classrooms is a very out dated one, and I feel it certainly does not have the animals best interests at heart.
I look back to the days when we had a guinea pig at school, the poor thing was always dashing around and squeaking, but not in sheer elation, but in utter panic, as new faces crowded around its hutch and little fingers poked at it each day :?

I compare it in one way, to the schemes whereby you are loaned a pretend baby to learn what it is like to take responsibility for a tiny infant who is totally dependent upon you. If a real baby was loaned out think of the outcry this would create, and with good reason.
I certainly do not think a live animal should be sent home with different children so they can test out their care skills...I think this is a big concern even with adult supervision.

Re the CBBC Pet Week issue:
I like the idea of contacting the BBC to try and see if you can tell them your concerns with the Pets week idea, and give them some constructive suggestions on perhaps taking a slightly different approach :D

Does anyone know exactly what this CBeebie Pet Week will consist of? Is there a link to it at all? We need information before we can say they are going about it rightly or wrongly........then we can all write letters and make (as Adele wrote) constructive suggestions.

As a rep of the RWA, I was instrumental in advising the BBC about the set up for Beebie in the studio (they only had one rabbit then) and at the time, one of the researchers looked after her when she was not on set. I haven't had anything to do with it since, but they were keen to have all the information/leaflets etc, as they did want to do things properly. I also said that a companion for Beebie would be a good idea, so they obviously went ahead and did that.

I seem to remember they got Beebie as a girl and she turned out to be a boy, or the other way around !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

pet week

Im not keen on the idea of pet week!!!

it may have its advantages of teaching children about animals etc etc

but you dont get a pet for a week, a pet is for a life time, years - not a week!!!! :? :shock:

I have had a quick look on the CBBC website and I cannot find any reference to the Pet Week on there - I found the information sheet that Tamsin posted and the link to the Smile Furry bunnies but nothing about pet week.
Can we have more information?
A pet week could be used to promote welfare and rescue centres. The Pet Week site that Tamsin posted the link to had listings of events that are taking place during the pet week. Maybe we could help out to enable some of these events to take place at rescue centres.

I strongly believe that it has nothing to do with children they don'y buy the pet in the first place it is the parents that need educating and CBBC is not the place to do it.

Siobhan - could you give a bit more information on this - where did you hear this being promoted - on CBBC itself or on their website? If it is on their website - could you post a link as I cannot find it.

Cheers.

Back