• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mishka's legs are really bad :-(

Jeremy

Wise Old Thumper
Mishka has had weak back legs for months now, but they never seemed to bother her at all.

Within the last 3 days for some reason, they have got worse each day. Today when I let them out when I got home this evening, she isn't even managing to balance at all, and it literally just lying her back end on the floor and pushing her feet out sidedways. :cry:

Amazingly she can still get around at a fair pace using this method, and still doesn't seem to bother her! She comes madly flopping up the garden with the others if we make the treat noise, and still chases around with them.

We are just really worried about this sudden downturn in her mobility, and she no longer has the strength to get on the step in their hutch. Tonight I had to pick her up and put her in the top section with the others as that is where they are tending to sleep now.

Caroline has managed to get an emergency vets appointment tomorrow at 9.30am, but to be honest we don't see what the vet will be able to do for her. :(
We just really want to determine if she is in pain.

Has anyone else had experience of bunnys with weak back legs?

I'm sorry I don't have any experience, but just wanted to wish your bunny well and good luck at the vets. Is she an old bun?

Nicola

Jay might has some tips, of the top of my head there are a couple of possibilities I think.

EC: can cause mobility problems, can be found on blood tests and treated with pancur

Stroke: though this would more likely be sudden rather than gradual

Changes in the spine: would need an xray to check this

Other nervous system problem

Try the articles top right here: http://www.hrschicago.org/articleslay.html

Goodluck at the vet :)

Tam

Thanks Tam,

I remember reading about EC from when she first had her problems, but I seem to remember someone (maybe yourself!) saying that EC wasn't a problem in the UK. She has also had blood tests, although not specifically for EC, so I don't know whether it would be picked up by a general test.

We are tending to think it is a spinal problem, seeing as the original problem happened so suddenly. Maybe she has hurt herself again recently, or possibly arthritus is inflaming the problem (although she's only 3).

It's either that, or something we'd rather not think about, as the vet couldn't rule out liver cancer last time she was there. :(

I had a bun with this problem years ago, as a kit. She was very weak and kept falling on her since and couldn’t walk, she lay down while eating and stuff. I can’t remember what the vet said as it was years ago – but he gave her an injection and we syringe fed her antibiotics for a little while. She did get better on her own. But that could have been something different.

Could it be this

Spondylosis of the lumbar spine
This is a fairly common disease of rabbits over 4 years of age, particularly females of medium to large breeds.

Cause: The vertebrae in the lumbar or back area gradually develop little bony protrusions that can eventually bridge to the adjacent vertebrae resulting in the fusion of the two. No one knows the exact reason this happens, but it is likely an aging process. It can be aggravated if a rabbit is carrying excess body weight (obese). This is not life threatening and can progress for years.

Signs: The fusing of the vertebrae decreases the flexibility of the spine and prevents the rabbit from being able to jump and run as easily. Before these bony "spurs" fuse completely, they can rub on each other and cause some pain. The pain may come and go dependent on things such as the weather and how much exercise the rabbit got the day before. Rabbits affected with this disease "shuffle" rather than hop and on some days can become very reluctant to move at all. As the disease progresses, it may be difficult for the rabbit to get in and out of the litter box and he may soil himself.

Diagnosis: The diagnosis is based on finding the bony changes on an x-ray of the spine.

Treatment: There is nothing that can stop the formation or progression of this disease. However, medications can be given to control pain and make the rabbit's life more comfortable. Medications used may include aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and corticosteroids. All these medications should be used with caution and only under a veterinarian's supervision. Some people have reported that their pet rabbits experienced relief with the use of acupuncture. Many also feel it is helpful to regularly massage or apply heat to the back. Gentle massage over the muscled areas of the back only (NEVER directly over the bone) can warm the area and help decrease muscle tightness. If your rabbit enjoys massage, or the application of warmth, then by all means use it. In addition, if the rabbit is obese, it is necessary to reduce the work load on the back by reducing the weight. As the disease progresses, it will be necessary to keep the hind quarters clean from urine and stool and to provide soft, absorbent bedding to prevent “bed sores” and pododermatitis (foot pad infections). Rabbits with any disease that causes weakness of the hind limbs will not be able to keep their ears clean by scratching. Check the ear canals at least once weekly for excess wax accumulation.

Just a thought

Ah, thanks Tracy. I was just reading that very article from the link Tamsin posted.

To be honest I don't think it is this. Mishka doesn't seem to be reluctant to move, and is flopping about all the place. I'm amazed she has the energy to be honest. This makes me think she isn't in pain. At least I hope not.

Anyway, many thanks for your thoughts.

We had a french lop doe that had this plus other problems.

She always seemed quite happy and played witht he others etc found some days that she could get upstirs and reguarlly she was stuck in the top of the hutch as she couldn't get back down her ramp.

Unfortantly the other problems took over and we lost her to these so haven't got that much info on this.

Thanks Tracy, that's useful to know since you have first hand experience.
Perhaps you're right. In a way I hope so as it is better than some of the alternatives.

Thanks again.

EC is in the UK too, its meant to be quite wide spread but only causes a problem in a few rabbits it effects so most owners never know. You'd have to ask you vet whether the tests checked for that it depends what they were looking for :)

EC effects a whole lot of things as it causes liesons (sp?). So it could make a lieson on the spine and cause problems or on the brain effecting the signals.

I imagine the vet may do an xray as that will rule out/in bone problems.

Tam

Snowball has bridging of the spine. She went completely off her back legs over a matter of days. The vet gave her a steroid injection and Snowball was put on restricted cage rest for two weeks. Since then, she's been mobile but will never do anything like binky again, but boy can she move!!!!! She's been like this for a few months now. When she seems stiff or a bit slow, we give her a few drops of metacam and cage rest again. She's a housebun and gets to exercise in the living room. She can jump up and down from the settee, jump out the top of her indoor cage, and has attempted to jump over the top of a PWS Greenline outdoor run :roll:

Good luck with the vet visit :wink:

I saw another bun at the Vets when I took Totts recently. The rabbit had a problem with his back legs and it was due to a trapped nerve. Got this info from just chatting (as you would) but didn't get more details. Good luck at the Vets!

Yeah, keep us posted. I hope everything turns out allright. Much love to you and bun. xxx

Get well soon Mishka. :)

Such a lady this Mishka is and she just seems to battle with what ever life throws at her.

I'm so sorry Jeremy to hear that Mishka is having some further problems and I'll keep everything crossed for her.
Let us know how you get on at the Vets today when you can.

Sending a big big snuggle to her.

Oh no Jeremy, Im sorry to hear Mishka is going through it again. Im thinking EC may well be the cause of this. Mishka lost weight before didn't she? but you found out the cause of that didn't you? Sorry my memory is worse than a sieve :lol: Even if it is EC and or Mishka can't recover use of her legs it isn't the end. You could always make her a little cart if she will allow you to put her in it. There seems to be plenty of bunnies albeit mostly in the USA that have lost the use of their hind legs but still go on to live very happily. Maybe for now you should limit her out time until she builds up her front leg strength so she doesn't over do it. She still sounds very happy despite to lose of mobility. Good luck at the vets!

Angela

Hi all,
I have only just got back home as have had a hectic day :shock:

Thanks for all your kinds thoughts and advice. The vet thinks it is spinal, and mentioned an operation but advised against it. He didn't take any X-rays so I'm not sure how he came to his conclusion (I wasn't there - Caroline took her).
Basically he doesn't hold much hope for her getting better, but we have to take her every 4 weeks for anti-inflammitories and steroids to try and slow any deterioration.

Many of you have mentioned EC, and since the advise I am getting does seem to point to this, I am going to talk to the vet tomorrow about getting her on Baytril and Panacur, and doing a blood test.

She is still fine in herself and is currently lying with Flump and Sparkle on their step.

Back