• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oh what do you think i should do?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi there just after xmas i started to bond two of my buns, i took them into the bathroom every evening, he appears to be scared of her and she want to dominate him by mounting him and grooming him but sems interested, but evertime he moves an inch she stamps her foot and starts mounting him and he freezes for ages, after a while this NEVER changed.

so one morning i went into her hutch and she had made an nest, i then got kymber (a houserabbit) and so i could quarentene him, i stopped the bonding thinking that maybe when she is spayed i will put them back, (hes neutered)

he has an open top run and she is free in the garden on excersise, she hops into the run mounts him and he freezes this has continued for weeks now,

now my question (sorry after a long speech) is i let him today have free run in the garden with her, after some initial chasing by her he found his way into her hutch, she then followed (i did get scared) but she has been grooming him for the last half an hour (her tongue must be sore) but he is frozen. i thought i may break the ice with some food, they ate but she was growling at him as they ate, but never went for him, i have left them together but dont know if this is the right thing to do as i dont want any fighting whilst i am not looking.

do you think i should keep them together (as she did not kill him when he went into her hutch or do you think i should remove him and wait untilshe is spayed (in about three weeks time)?

please help thanks

a very nervous bunny mummy :oops:

I bet your nerves are in tatters, I wouldn't like to advise, but I am too over cautious with mine, so I would remove him. However like I say I am too on edge when it comes to bonding.

I have done a few bonds which were all different - not all successful but, from what you have said, it sounds as though you are making great progress. I think I would continue as you are, putting them together for increasing amounts of time - and keep an eye on them - my two males had a major fight after being together for two weeks. Separate them at night until you feel they are at ease with each other. She will have a season, hump him and nest build but this will stop (I think it does with all buns - Honey has) once she is spayed.

yes my nerves are in tatters and it would be a shame to separate them if they are getting on they are in the shed at the moment, together in her open hutch and i keep popping in and out which must be driving them loopy, but the are snuggled and dont really want to sparate them but i think i will, do you think i should wait until shes had the op or what? and ehn do you know that they are going to be fine and know it ok to leave them together....... i can feel the wrinkles forming :? :? :?

If they are actually snuggled up I don't think you need to separate them. At sometime you are going to have to trust them :? It would be different if she hadn't settled with him, or if he was still frozen in fear of her. Snuggled is good, I would accept that.

well i went to take another quick look ans she was mounting him so i just split them, trouble is when you you just trust them?

Bonding is hard isn't it? I think if I hadn't heard so many scare stories I would be more confident at bonding, but I am always fearful that I would come home to a pile off ripped off ears :?

Back