• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This is progress!!

Towsbuns

Mama Doe
I nipped out from lunchtime to Jollyes here in Milton Keynes - a large pet shop similar in size to P&H but does not sell pets (except fish). They have a large notice board where people can advertise (a few free to good home ones unfortunately).
There was a large sign advertising a Rabbit and Guinea Pig rehoming day which is to be held at the shop at the end of this month. What a fantastic idea. Rescue and Pet Shop working in partnership - the shop gets the benefits of bun owner-2-bs probably buying a hutch, food, accessories etc. from their shop and the rescue, hopefully, rehome their animals.
I also noted another ad - again from RSPCA offering free neutering and spaying for buns to anyone on benefits.

Thats good! We have a Jollyes here in East Sussex but they don't do that. I know someone that works there though and will suggest it, as it also will benefit the company as you say.

Thats Brill progress Julie - benefits both sides as you say and also great that this idea puts in place someone from the rescue centre to be on hand for good sound advice re diet, housing etc.

Great move forward for improved Welfare and rehoming rescue bunns.

Towsbuns said:
I nipped out from lunchtime to Jollyes here in Milton Keynes - a large pet shop similar in size to P&H but does not sell pets (except fish). They have a large notice board where people can advertise (a few free to good home ones unfortunately).
There was a large sign advertising a Rabbit and Guinea Pig rehoming day which is to be held at the shop at the end of this month. What a fantastic idea. Rescue and Pet Shop working in partnership - the shop gets the benefits of bun owner-2-bs probably buying a hutch, food, accessories etc. from their shop and the rescue, hopefully, rehome their animals.
I also noted another ad - again from RSPCA offering free neutering and spaying for buns to anyone on benefits.

It would be good if this the press/media did a news article on this, could someone from that area/store maybe organise something?

Funny this should come up after this thread but I read in my local paper tonight that a young girl is about to embark on her dream and open a pet shop in our Town Centre - there is a picky of the shop in the paper with the young lady holding a cuddly bunny (say no more).

This young lady (18 years) has had to fight ill health and there is great praise in the paper for her realising her dream and for that I've great admiration for her - I'm wondering if maybe in a month or so once the store is established maybe I should contact her and just put a few ideas to her re working with rescues rather than selling baby bunnies - from the article I read it sounded as though she has an open approach to welfare which could be good news - it might be that perhaps she's never thought of alternatives.

What do you think folks - do you think this is worth a try or should I leave well alone :?:

yep - think I'm gonna put something together during the next week, maybe I could mention the possibility of doing a Bunny Welfare day in conjection with local rescues/sanctuaries - but I'll sound her out generally first to see how she responds - just my personal opinion but I think a shop which has rescue bunnies for rehoming rather than cute fluffy baby bunns could be a step in the right direction - especially if it was well co-ordinated and had a home checker etc.

But first things first - eh -I'll contact her first and see how we go.

Thanks for the push Folks.

I think it is well worth a try :) Don't get anywhere without asking do we! And even if she still wants to sell baby bunnies, she might be open o the idea of working with a rescue for older buns or something similar, even just a bit of promotion would do rabbit rescues the world of good :)

Lany , good idea we had a pet shop near us that didnt sell pets but for a few years he would have a pair of rescues in the shop for rehoming. It worked well. val

Back