• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I be worried?

Thumps

Alpha Buck
Hi all, Im a bit concerned about Sooty, my little 4 yr old Netherland Dwarf. His eating habits have gone abit weird. To start with last week I noticed he hadn't touched his pellets but every time I went into my bedroom where he lives he would beg, stretched up on his little toes as far as he can go. Thought he was just hungry but when I looked into his bed his dish still had most of his pellets left. Figured he wanted veggies so I toddled off and got him some brocolli. He muched that right up, now ever since he keeps begging for veggies, he knows they come from the kitchen so every time I go in there he goes begging. He's still binkying and wants out all the time but he's eating very little pellets or hay. So on Sunday morning I gave him a tiny amount for brekkie and told him no more until he eats his hay and starts giving me proper poopies! His poo is small and mis shappen most of the time but there is lots of them! I did give him a small piece of brocolli last night, couldn't resist his mousey little face begging away and about 20 pellets. He hoovered up the pellets and brocolli, so he is hungry.
I originally thought it may have been his teeth so I have tried him with the hard veggies like carrot, spring greens (the stalks are pretty hard) and sprouts. He eats all of them double quick.
So should I be concerned, he does eat his hay when he's left to it. Any opinions much appreciated.
Angela

Hi Angela
I would get his teeth checked just to be sure, one of my old buns stopped eating the dry stuff once and he had a spur growing from one of his teeth, not that im saying it would be that but i would get the vet to check just incase :)
Sarah

Hi Sarah. I got a bit of advise from Bunnyhugger and she gave me an idea baout getting Supaforage. He hasn't had that for a while and I was going to the shop anyway so thought I'd give that a try. I gave him a big bowl of it and even before bedtime his poops were normal sized again. I guess he maybe just isn't interested in hay again. I will still get his teeth checked just to be sure. I'll give him a few days on the supaforage 1st though, as he ate another big bowl through out today.

Angela

Back