• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

more petshop bunnies

boing

New Kit
Hi! I read the last post re petshop bunnies but have a particular problem that needs some suggestions.

There is a petshop not far from me that I've heard has 8 rabbits that have been at the shop since last November. Apparently they are starting to show an interest in each other and most likely if any of the females find a new home, they'll probaby be pregnant by the time they leave the shop.

I suggested to the person who let me know about the problem to write or talk to the owner of the shop and advise of the situation. The girl who told me about it is worried about the bunnies and says they are getting quite large. She called the shop out of curiosity to see what age the owner said the bunnies were over the phone and he didn't lie and try to tell her they were younger than what they were so that was good.

Apparently they are being looked after okay so the RSPCA probably won't be interested in their plight but does anyone have any other suggestions as to what we could do? The problem I see is that the bunnies will get older and either be sold off cheaply to who knows who or they'll be sent to a shelter if they can't sell them at all (all pregnant).

For now they definately need to be sexed and seperated. The boys may more than likely fight as they start to mature so he needs to think about seperating them so they can still interact but not hurt each other. The girls will probably be ok together in one pen until they start to nest if they are pregnant.

I am not really sure what to advise as it would just enable him to get more younger ones if someone takes them and maybe this way he will think twice about buying rabbits again.

Obviously the ideal would be to get all of them neutered then he could sell them off as bonded pairs but he wouldn't make any money so this would be an unlikely course of action for him to agree to!

Caz

Back