• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Apple tree branches

RussAb

Young Bun
Probably a really stupid question this :oops: .....my mother in law has been trimming her apple tree back and I've brought home some of the thin branches and twigs. Apple tree twigs seem to be ok to gnaw on according to http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=132&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 but this tree is older than me, and covered with all sorts of moss and stuff. Should I strip this off?!

With me starving them of everything but hay and water for the next few days I figured the distraction of a pile of twigs to destroy might take their minds off their bellies :D

Cheers

Russ

apple branches

Hi There Russ,
I feed my lot branches from all my fruit trees.
The love stripping them, and its great for their teeth.
I know what you mean about them being a bit grubby,
if there's anything too suspect just wipe it off.

My bunnies like grubby.
Mind you they like eating spiders, so you've got to wonder!

hi as far as i know they are fine as they are, mine adore them and dont they smell good enought to eat (well if i was a wabbit) :lol:
i ahve never heard for taking that of as they only eat the bark anyway.

hope that helps!!

eve x

I cut the branches up into smaller sizes and then pour boiling water from the kettle over them.
It is what you cannot see on the twigs that can cause all sorts of illnesses in rabbits, including the deadly VHD Virus that can be brought to your bunnies via birds.(Birds that come into contact with diseased rabbits in the wild)
I have also been known to soak them in a long tray with Milton Fluid and rinse them very thoroughly afterwards.

Back