• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House rabbit questions?

kahren

New Kit
Hi

I have recently adopted a house rabbit who lived with his owner for a couple of years until she died. I did not know the lady so don't know the past set up. My questions are:

- He is pooing in his litter tray but when he wees he misses the tray and wees over the side. Any ideas how can I teach him to wee in the tray?

- He is hardly drinking any water. Should I be worried? I have tried a bowl and water bottle.

- I doubt he had a hutch in his last home so I took it away and replaced it with a basket. He was clearly not happy so I have had to bring the hutch back into the house which is not ideal.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Kahren

Get a deeper litter tray or use a plastic washing up bowl with something like megazorb in to absorb the wee, and cover with fresh hay, rabbits like to poo and chew

Might be a bun who doesn't drink a lot of water, all buns vary. Some buns can get a lot of moisture from fresh veggies and herbs (does the bun eat those yet?) Also you can add fresh fruit juice to the water, then gradually reduce the amount of juice til the bun drinks water alone

A hutch/cage will make the bun feel secure, like a bolt hole, til he gets used to his surroundings. I always cover up new housebuns at night, it gives them comfort. You could always try a large cardboard box with a couple of doors cut out if you don't want to use a cage, however, it's always better to have someplace where you can shut him in so you know he's safe when work men / dogs / children etc visit.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and when do we get to see a pic? :D

kahren said:
Hi

I have recently adopted a house rabbit who lived with his owner for a couple of years until she died. I did not know the lady so don't know the past set up. My questions are:

- He is pooing in his litter tray but when he wees he misses the tray and wees over the side. Any ideas how can I teach him to wee in the tray?

Well he is using the tray already but just aiming badly :shock: :lol: What about getting a high edged litter tray then it should catch the urine better :D

- He is hardly drinking any water. Should I be worried? I have tried a bowl and water bottle.(Quote K)

Well reduced(or increased!) water intake can suggest a problem like a bladder infection on occasions, but it is probably that he does not like the taste of the water especially if it is highly chlorinated.
You could try adding a teaspoon of unsugared apple juice or a drop of elderflower cordial to see if he likes the taste better.
Watch what you give though as sugars can upset the rabbits tummy.
Add a tiny drop of one of the above to either the bottle or the bowl and see if he drinks more of a) the flavoured water or b) the plain water.
he will guide you :wink:

- I doubt he had a hutch in his last home so I took it away and replaced it with a basket. He was clearly not happy so I have had to bring the hutch back into the house which is not ideal.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Kahren

The hutch may give the rabbit a feeling of security. Rabbits that are not too confident often like to hide in something it makes them feel safe.
We provide some form of cover for all our rabbits as they like to get away from our gaze sometimes :? :lol:
Instead of the hutch you could perhaps buy a covered CAT LOO from Argos , these are much more acceptable for the house, but will give your beloved bunny a hideaway too. :D

Hope these ideas help??
Best wishes

Bunnyhuggger has answered your questions very similarly to me too..great minds think alike hey?? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Adele said:
Bunnyhuggger has answered your questions very similarly to me too..great minds think alike hey?? :wink: :lol: :lol:

Shhhhhhhhhhhh Adele! Hud yer weesht wummin! That's just a clear invitation to say 'fools seldom differ' :wink: :roll: :lol:

[quote="bunnyhuggger That's just a clear invitation to say 'fools seldom differ' :wink: :roll: :lol:[/quote]

Well as one FOOL to another, I think you are right Bunnyhuggger :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back