• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question ref spaying ?

Dasonix

Mama Doe
Hi there we had our little Bunty ( the 1 in our sig image) spayed a few weeks before xmas. Everything went well with the operation but now we have another little problem.

The fur around the scar has grown back ok, but the other area where she was shaved for the operation hasnt grown back. We are a bit worryed as she has this huge square bald patch on her belly.

Have any of you got any ideas as to why this would happen ?

No idea why it happens but when I had Sophie spayed last year her fur took ages to grow back. Think it was about 3 months for it to grow back completely. Maybe it depends on the moutling cycle i.e if they aren't moulting the fur takes ages to grow back?

Angela

aaawww please do not worry about Bunty, it is perfectly normal for it to take ages for some rabbits fur to grow back, as Angela correctly says 3 months is not uncommon.

Very occasionally the fur never grows back quite as it was before, but being on the belly you cannot see it too much :wink:
As long as the skin is healthy itself that is the main concern.

Best wishes

Isadora still has a bare tummy, and she was speyed in September :? Strangely there is a line of fur along the line of the incision, the bare areas are to the sides. When she had her leg stitched up after her run in with Clover the vet was telling me how fast rabbits' fur grows back. I asked what about her belly then, and the vet was very surprised especially when I told her it usually takes ages to grow back. I suppose they see them when the stitches come out and then assume the hair will grow straight back.

Other rabbits I have had speyed have been like this too. For this reason I put off speying until the weather warms up and is likely to stay warm unless the rabbit lives indoors.

thanks for your replies (had visions of getting her a little bunny coat) :D

I will give it another week or so and if its still not grown back i will take her to see our vet. I remember this problem with my horses after being clipped, some would take longer to grow back than others. I was not so sure about bunnies as i never noticed anyone mention it before. Dusty our other bunny, when she was spayed her fur grew back very quickly. But they say bunnies are closely related to horses :) so we will keep you posted.

I imagine that if its just before a moult then it usually grows in pretty quick. If they have moulted recently then it would take longer. Well, that would be a logical explanation anyway but how knows with bunnies :D

Back