• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit AND Guinea Pig food????

Hi all.

I normally buy my rabbit and guinea pig food from Tesco.
It's the "wagg" ones, and all my animals are happy with it.

Today to my horror (!!!!!!!!) there wasn't any on the shelf!
And they'd replaced it with a bag that's Tesco Value
universal rabbit AND Guinea pig food (??????)

It didn't look very appealing.

Should I give it a go or track down my usual?

If you are swapping them over it needs to be done slowly so if you are completely out of your usual I would track down some of it so you can mix the food to swap them over if you wish.

What are the stats like on the Tesco's own stuff - does it have a high enough fibre content, no coccidiostat + Vit C for the GPs?

Caz

Hi!
I would try and track down your usual...

As far as I understand it you can't feed rabbits and guinea pigs the same thing: they need different nutrients and different amounts of vitamin C. If you're having real trouble tracking down your usual brand it might be worth checking the ingredients to see if they are like your usual food. Also, was it a complimentary food or a complete food?

Its not good to change rabbits diets suddenly, so unless the ingredients are almost the same as the other brand, I wouldn't risk it.

You might find Tesco's have the right brand back in stock soon if a lot of people ask about it- keep looking! :D

Hope thats been of some use. :D

I used to use the Wagg ones, the Guinea pig one is quite good but I stopped using the rabbit one as the fibre is really low, about 9%. I swopped over to Science selective which is 19% fibre. It works out cheaper in the long run as they have less pellets now.

I get my local pet shop to order SS for me in 10kg bags.

If you go to the supreme pet food web site you can order a free sample and they will email you a list of your local stockists.

Back