• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ivy

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I was reading about Ivy in an earlier post. I knew Ivy was poisonous but assumed the rabbits would ignore it. I have Ivy growing in my garden, would it be best to remove the Ivy or will the rabbits just ignore it? I haven't noticed them paying any attention to it so far???

Rabbits don't realise what's good and bad for them. If it looks edible (=leaf) they'll eat it...natural population control, I guess...so if you have any poisonous plants, I'd remove them, as it's likely that one day they'll take a nibble when they're hungry...:(

Edited coz I can't spell...*sigh*

Hi there Touie, Maaike is right, it is best to remove the Ivy. :wink:
I made the mistake of leaving some ivy in the garden that was growing up a tree trunk, thinking the bunnies would ignore it...how wrong I was...big lack of judgment there!! :? :oops: :shock:

Rabbits will try anything and with poisonous plants it only takes them to have one nibble and you could end up with a very poorly rabbit, or worse :cry:
It is not worth the risk.

Well the walls now Ivy free up to about 2 1/2 ft so out of direct nibbling range!!! But how hard is it to remove Ivy??? I'm worn out and half the wall has crumbled!!!

Treacle has had a few tummy problems recently and I'm now wondering whether he could have been nibbling Ivy?

Is it just the leaves that are poisonous or the branches/roots as well?

I think it must be the whole plant, but I'm not a botanist, so don't hold me to it!

I HATE ivy growing wild, it's horrible stuff! It's really pretty to let it grow up against the walls of your house, but it grows INTO the brick, and when you pull it off, it crumbles the wall...grrrrrr

yes tell me about it!!! I'm going to need a spade for the roots as I havent got one!!! Caught Fudge about to munch on a leaf whilst I was removing it but he stopped when I said no!!! He's well trained! :D

Apparently privet. At least it better be. I've spent the morning digging up hedge. I'm exhausted and there's still tons more left. What sort of fool plants a hedge in the middle of the garden right up against the patio? My poor aching back. You have my deepest sympathies for your ivy project. :cry:

Back