• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home Visitors needed in the London Area

MightyMax

Banned
I am on the look out for people who would like to do a one day training course to become home visitors for the Mayhew Animal Home. We are in desperate need of people like you to help those wishing to take on rescue rabbits........

What I normally do is have a day at my house with anything up to a dozen people, and we have some fun and learn all about what to expect when you turn up at someone's house, and also how to advise them, using guidelines, role play etc....etc......

It doesn't matter if you are outside London, and still want to come ( I am in West London), as then it means we can rehome to a wider area. I am particularly concerned that some rabbits are going out to be bonded with another rabbit and sufficient information isn't given to the new owners at the point where they adopt the rabbit from the Rescue. The Mayhew also caters for cats and dogs, and precious few of the staff are qualified to give advice on rabbits, which is why I would like to build up a core of rabbit lovers to help and advise.........

Do get in touch if this appeals to you and we can then think about suitable dates!

The website for the Mayhew is Mayhewanimalhome.org

I'm intereested. I've actually just sent off a volunteer form to the Mayhew for rabbit cuddling/grooming and cleaning out! :D

Mightymax, this is really good that you are going down the lines of finding homecheckers :D I too would love to attend but sadly, a little too far for me to travel for a days course :(

I was wondering if you would share the information of your training course so that, maybe other rescues around the country could maybe do the same sort of course for people in their own area :) This would be a good start in enabling homecheckers further afield to do homechecks, and the rescues helping each other with perhaps their own data bases of homecheckers which could be called upon when a rabbit is offered a forever home further afield :wink: :D

Hi Denny

<I love the way your signature bunnies wiggle their bottoms :lol: :lol: >

Re the homechecking day......I have it on my list to draught something for the Mayhew to give to all their home visitors and volunteers - I just need the time to sit and put it all in order. I agree it would be good to have lots of trained homecheckers all over the country.

Different rescues have different standards - I wonder how we could get an 'across the board' standard? I hate to give Tamsin yet another thing, but when writing to rescues, maybe something about home visitors can be included......?

It is important that when a rabbit/s are rehomed, they don't end up back in rescue, and that people are made fully aware of their long term and expensive committments :!: Unfortunately all the rescues I know have problems finding good homecheckers, and also homecheckers that can give some advice on rudimentary health problems and bonding techniques. Perhaps the RWA First Alert could be of use contacting people here??

Thanks Denny - good idea
:)

I would like to be a homechecker... but think I may be a bit far from London as in East Sussex (although I do work in London!)

I think a homecheckers day would be a really good idea :)

Thank you for all your replies, and those who have pm'd me. If it is OK, could people pm me with their email addresses so I can contact you off list to make the arrangements and answer questions, etc? Then we can work towards setting a date that suits us all :)

I hope this is OK - Tamsin and Adele, let me know if there is some other way I should organise this if not :)

MightyMax said:
Different rescues have different standards - I wonder how we could get an 'across the board' standard? I hate to give Tamsin yet another thing, but when writing to rescues, maybe something about home visitors can be included......?

Good point Mightymax :)

If each rescue had its own rehoming standards, which is understandable that not every rescue will have the same then, which ever rescue is rehoming further afield, the rescue could email the homechecker their policy standards by which to base the home check assessment on :wink: :D

Each rescue could have their own data base of homecheckers that could be called upon for certain areas :D

Thats sounds like a good idea :) If you let me know when you set the date I can advertise it on RR and might get a few more attendee for you :D

Tam

Hi Eve

I have had four replies (thank you to those who replied :) ), but unfortunately this is not enough to run a whole day with......I wrote to the Mayhew last week because they said they had people who wanted to do the course, but they have not replied either :(

So it looks like I shall have to cancel the day......I will confirm with people either way by Wednesday morning at the latest......

Back