• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Attn any rescues & sanctuaries!!!

I did a rather silly thing and bought my two tiny rabbits a 10kg bag of Science Selective.

They're never going to get through it before it goes off and goes horrible.

Do any rescues or sanctuaries want some SS? I'd be really happy to donate it to you...I don't quite know how I'll get it to you, so advice would be appreciated on that aspect, but please, let me help!!!!!

Oh great, I'm glad you've found a good food for him!!! He really didn't like the Excel did he?!

My girls don't like the SS as much as the Excel, but they do eat it, so...

It should keep for quite a while. Mine lasts 6 weeks with 4 bunnies so it should last you about 3 months. If you store it properly it should keep until the sell by date.

Maaike_Butter said:
Oh great, I'm glad you've found a good food for him!!! He really didn't like the Excel did he?!

well you was given him the excel dwalf & young and hes hardly either, so no wonder he did not eat it.

bunnylove said:
Maaike_Butter said:

well you was given him the excel dwalf & young and hes hardly either, so no wonder he did not eat it.
Was there any need for that?

Maaike_Butter said:
I did a rather silly thing and bought my two tiny rabbits a 10kg bag of Science Selective.

They're never going to get through it before it goes off and goes horrible.
I've had mine for almost two months and hasn't gone off :)

Whats the date on the sack? i bought a 10kg bag the other day as long as its stored in an air tight container it should be fine,mine will last ages as they only have a small amount each day

He's a dwarf, I believe, Eve. It's the food he came with, anyway, wasn't about the change it when he was so stressed! lol He might have tried to kill me in my sleep! ;)

I haven't got an airtight container to put it in, and to be honest, the buns keep getting at it and I've had to tape up several tooth holes... :oops: ...when I asked for a big bag, I didn't realise he'd be able to source a 10kg bag! lol

Maaike_Butter said:
He's a dwarf, I believe, Eve. It's the food he came with, anyway, wasn't about the change it when he was so stressed! lol He might have tried to kill me in my sleep! ;)

I haven't got an airtight container to put it in, and to be honest, the buns keep getting at it and I've had to tape up several tooth holes... :oops: ...when I asked for a big bag, I didn't realise he'd be able to source a 10kg bag! lol

I know what you mean claude chewed a big hole in my guniea pig food bag yesterday!!!!!

bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
Maaike_Butter said:

any need for what? i have had private conversations with maaike about kymbers food amongst other stuff and maaike suggested keeping on the young excel and i did not as he was not eating it, i was not offensive and maaike would know that, so what happened to cease fire ha !

bunnylove said:
bluebunny said:
bunnylove said:
Maaike_Butter said:

any need for what? i have had private conversations with maaike about kymbers food amongst other stuff and maaike suggested keeping on the young excel and i did not as he was not eating it, i was not offensive and maaike would know that, so what happened to cease fire ha !
Maybe its just the way you write things it just sounded a little rude thats all

We don't get that many rabbits, and none of them are on SS. We ask owners to bring in the bun's own food to avoid tummy upsets, but I have donated my half-empty bag of Excell Junior/Dwarf and we do have a couple of bags of regular Excel.

I've recommended SS to a couple of clients now that complained that their buns didn't like Excel, and will probably bring in a small plastic bag with some in, but I doubt we'll use it much, if at all!

bluebunny said:
Whats the date on the sack? i bought a 10kg bag the other day as long as its stored in an air tight container it should be fine,mine will last ages as they only have a small amount each day

I do the same as bluebunny. Store the feed in air tight containers. As long as you use it before the sell by date it keeps as good as new.

Louise

Back