• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Opinions on what to do?

Hey everyone...

The girls were speyed more than 24 hours ago...they've been in their cage for about 24 hours, and keep shooting me looks like "please mommy, we want out"...

I'm debating whether or not to let them have a hop about the place? What does everyone think?

They're both quite lively now, hopping about the cage, but it's a bit small for them. They're both eating veg at the moment...although water intake is still really low...

What does everyone think?

I would say let them have a quick hop round making sure there is nothing for them to catch their stitches on and that they don't jump onto anything (in case they stretch their wound and it opens :(). I bet they will be glad to stretch their legs!

When Pippa had a mammary gland removed I kept her in the cage for first night then let her run round my room the next day. Been keeping her in her hutch all week as she had a thorn in her foot so wanted it to heal before she flies off round the garden again - I was most def getting those looks today and she was SO happy when I let her out - went binkying up the garden, bless her!!

Just go with your instincts and them, as they are young they will prob recover quick, just make sure they don't over do things for the next week or two, then I'm sure they will be back to normal!!

Perhaps if they are a bit happier they might drink some more water for their mummy? If they were thirsty I'm sure they would do something about it tho, they sound like very sharp little buns!! :D

Nicola

Hi there

I let bugzee out for little short times as she raced around to much!!

She did have a problem with eating her stitches and glue thou!

Just watch them closely that they stay quite.

bronie

Miffy went stright back into her puppy pen which is large enough for her to run around,but guess what? she didnt even try to run she was walking quite stiffly bless her, i think they know there limits,just make sure they dont jump up on to anything

I think I'll build a quick enclosure (well, when it comes to those storage cubes it's not really *quick*) and let them hop around in a controlled environment.

Thanks guys!

If anyone thinks it's a bad idea, lemme know, I won't have it built for another couple of hours! Need dinner for strength first! :lol: :lol:

I'd let them out to stretch their legs. I wouldn't let them climb, or dig their way behind anything. But an hour's gentle hop about will do them good if they're feeling up to it.

Back