• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT foster or perminant home needed for Violet or advice

hi,

I am hoping some one can help. I had a rabbit come into me last weekend, she was a stray who had been wondering around for months, although the people that caught her new who she belong to they had no intrest in her.

I have never come across a rabbit like it before and am very concerend for her. She is making frantic escape attempts and has broken out of a rabbit run and found her away under the fence to next door. She has tried to chew the mess on the runs until her mouth bled. She is now hutch bownd but she is going mad.

She is a very nice girl and easy to handle (once you have caught her) ANy advice would also be helpful.

I have no idea whether she is pregnant (she is fat and her nipples are up) but she needs to find somewhere with a secure run.

Any ideas anyone?

It sounds like she needs a lot of space, perhaps as a house rabbit. I'm not sure if we have any members in the area that might be willing to foster.

Tam

Would there be any transport for her, or are you looking to rehouse her locally? She sounds like she is in distress and needs a fair bit of TLC.....and as soon as possible!

ideally I would like to keep her local just incase she gives birth, but if people are happy with the fact she might have babies I would say that would be fine. I can't transport her personnally due to time but I would be happy for her to travel.

She is a nice girl, but I now can't put her out for fear of her escaping or hurting her self. The runs I have aren't small and I have never had a rabbit like this.

I was wondering if it was possilbe that she had a nest of babies and the stress is due to the fact I removed her from them. She just wants out all the time and will do anything including injuring herself to get it. :(

Sounds like she may have already had a litter :( Oh God, I hope not :(
Poor girl, she needs help doesn't she :?: Can anyone take her on :?: Anyone - this poor girl needs help quickly - if I didn't live so far I would take her :(

I am wondering whether I can't get her under the 'umbrella' of the Mayhew, who would cover all medical treatment/spaying/vax etc, but for me to foster her here with me. I have experience of all sorts of rabbit problems, and also a totally secure dog pen (which I only use for rabbits!) which is 12 foot by 6 foot and on a concrete base with a proper felt roof.

She wouldn't be shut in a hutch, and there are loads of pear tree logs to eat and jump on in there..........This pen leads out onto a secure piece of garden from which no rabbit has ever escaped, but that would only be under strict supervision! (this is where I kept Jack and Chubby, but they were out a lot of the time........)

However, I couldn't fetch her myself, and if there is an offer more locally, then that would make sense to take it. Bear me in mind if you think I can be of use! :)

Aww bless her. :cry:

It really does sound as tho she may have had a litter somewhere and that is what is causing the distress.

I really hope that someone could offer this little lady some help soon.

is it not possible to get her to a vet, they would be able to tell if she is lactating wouldnt they, if her nipples are up and maybe give her something to dry her up if you say shes big could it be she still maybe carrying.

i would love to help but are too far away, good luck

Oh gods, I really hope she's not got a litter out there somewhere! If she does, I have no idea how long it'd take her to get over not being with them (not to mention what'll happen to the litter)...might require hormone shots of some sort from the vet. Times like this you wish that hypnotherapy (or brainwashing) was possible for rabbits...

:(

it is only a guess but a possilbe, she is very fat however so I think she is more likely to give birth. She seems to settle more in the hutch than the run, but as I can't let her out it seems such a shame I can't bring her in the house as my mum is allergiv to rabbits and eould be in hospital.

Where are you mightymax I may be able to sort out transport

I am in West London.....

Thanks for taking her on Siobhan. Hopefully between us all we can do something for her?

It could just be she is so stressed from being "lost" then passed from one place to another. If she is about to drop her kits she will be looking for a safe and quiet place..maybe why the run freaks her..as I guess its in the open..a hutch with a sealed bed area to nest in a quiet location should settle her..lets hope so ..good luck x

not too bad, she is a lot happier in the hutch than the run but she has thrown her water bottle of quite a few times. I am pretty sure she will give birth as she keeps making nests. She is very friendly and very easy to handle. I think it is best to keep her her until I am sure she is or isn't pregnant as I do not wish to stress her anymore.

I have had another stray arrive today :( a lovely little fellow. He is very calm and happy to have a nice warm bed :D

Ratty Haven said:
I have had another stray arrive today :( a lovely little fellow. He is very calm and happy to have a nice warm bed :D

I would imagine that this little guy is also vey grateful to you Siobhan for rescueing him :wink: :D

Keep us posted on Violet :wink: you are doing a marvellous job and I am sure she knows that you are there to help her :wink: :D glad to hear she does'nt sound as stressed as she was when she first arrived :)

hiya,

Violet is doing really well now I have had her in a hutch for quite a few days and I put her in a run on Thursday as I was out there all afternoon cleaning I was there to keep an eye on her. She had few attempts at escape but not as frantic as she was. Then she just enjoyed her time in the run.

Still no sign of any babies whether she will produce or not I do not know, her nipples are up and she is fat but I have said that before and nothing has happened.

She is a really lovely girl, really easy to handle, doesn't kick at all, which I think I really weird as she is really cuddly and happy to be held and makes no attempt to escape out of your arms. She likes to be stroked in her hutch and all in all a really lovely bunny. Very pretty to.

I did try her with a castrated male but I think she was still too stressed and didn't like him. I thought the company might calm her. I will try them together again soon now she is relaxing and when I am sure no babies will arrive :)

Sounds like you and Violet are making excellent progress :D :D Violet obviously realises that you are not a threat to her now :wink: and that you are there to help her :D thanks for letting us know how things were going :wink: :D

Back