• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Encouraging drinking?

Hello everyone!

Question for personal reference, but also for use at practice, where I often get buns who're off their water bottles. They tend to let the crazy rabbit lady (=me) nurse all the rabbit patients nowadays... :oops:

How can I encourage buns to drink? I know Tamsin suggested adding apple juice to the water? How much? Is there anything else?

I've been feeding veggies which I wash and then leave the water on a bit, so I know they're getting some in, and do regular dehydration checks, but I've had a couple of rabbits in at work who get quite bad, and need to be put on drips. As that's NOT nice, I'd rather prevent that by heading the problem off at the pass, so to speak!

Can anyone suggest methods and tips to me?

I had a very poorly bunny once, and I had to get her to drink with an oral syringe for quite a while!

With the apple juice I just do it by eye so I guess maybe half an inch in the bottle then topped up with water. Make sure its the pure juice not stuff thats had artificial sweetener etc. added.

You will probably find poorly bunnies prefer a bowl over a bottle.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin!!

I did notice that Binky was lapping it up when I dropped in on her nose (at first by accident, then I continued) so might give them a bowl.

The last non-drinking case I was nursing at work was originally given a bowl and he wouldn't touch it because I don't think he knew what it was. I found him a bottle (after first making a huge mess with a syringe as all the bottles were MIA) he was much happier drinking from it...hmmm

All buns are different, which I love!!!!

I think as you say it part its what a rabbit is used to, if they havn't had a bottle before then they may not know how to work it. Another thing is why they are ill, a rabbit with tooth problems is most likely going to be happier with water in a bowl.

Tam

I am sort of worried about my bun for not drinking, i am going to try the apple juice. She literally never drinks exept when she is ill. She has veggies so I think she gets all the water she needs from them but in the summer i am trying the apple definately.

yes i would say apple juice or orange juice. i once used i try to calm a rabbit down and made it some camomile tea and put some orange jucie in there too, it never clamed her down but at the end of the day she had drank the whole bottle so she must of loved it.
becky

I can't find any decent apple juice anywhere without sweetnets. I've got some orange juice and "chamomile, vanilla and honey" tea...

Does anyone think the tea would be harmful to them????????

I would avoid organge as thats quite acidic and you don't want to upset their tummies, though I suppose in the tiny quantities it wouldn't be a problem? I'm not sure on the tea :?

A splodge of honey would probably sweeten the water enough to encourage them.

To be honest if they are eating and active like you say then just giving them a bowl of normal water as well as a bottle should be fine. They should drink what they want/need.

Tam

You're right, Tam, I'm just fussing. lol

Just too used to the buns I see at practice that don't drink and go very dehydrated and require drips...and that makes Maaike a saaaad bunny...:(

Have you tried putting whiskey in the the water?? works for me :lol:

[please note, this is a joke, I would never endorse giving whiskey to a rabbit]

Betty

Another handy tip.... your not going to use the whole carton so freeze some (like icecubes) that way it keeps ages and you'll have some next time you need it.

Tam

Back