• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Binky and Xena are home!

Hey everyone,

Well, they're home!! After a long and stressful day, I may add!

The plan was to do both of them before 11 o'clock...then one before 11 and then one after tea break (at 11)...then before lunch (1)...then one before lunch, and one after...

...they ended up both being done after lunch. We had a Shar Pei in which took us 45 mins to anaesthetise as we couldn't find a vein on it as it's skin is so thick and wrinkled and messed up. Poor dog. People shouldn't breed Shar Peis...

Anyway, I spent A LOT of time during the ops learning about Pharmacy (on the other side of the building ;)) but all-in-all, they took about TWO HOURS to get done!!! Binky was REALLY hard to intubate, with a much too small mouth/throat, so the vet just about gave up and apparently said "one more try" and it went in. Otherwise she would have stayed entire as we don't mask any of our animals, and tube them ALL.

Xena's anaesthetic wasn't quite strong enough and she got quite light during the beginning of the op and surprised everyone. She's quite a lively bun anyway, which is what we put it down to. She also took quite a bit longer to wake up. Both woke up fairly quickly, within about 30-45 mins, I've spent almost two hours with a few rabbits bringing them round fully, so that was a blessing!

So instead of going home at 14.00, as I was supposed to, I went home at 17.30...whoops. lol

They're now in their old dog cage to restrict movement. They'll be there for three days. I know they're going to hate me! Xena's eaten a bit, Binky hasn't, but I'm keeping an eye on them. Lots of lovely greens and herbs, their favourite...

Anyway, I'll stop babbling on now...;)

Glad to hear that they are home and all well.

Take care of them

Janice
Animal Rescue and Care.

Fantastic news :D So glad that they are both home and now you just have to get them eating properly - may take a bit of time but keep on tempting them :)
They are bound to be a bit off with you - if you'd taken me in for my bits out I'd be off with you as well :shock:
Sending them both snuggles - gentle ones as they will be feeling a bit sore :oops:

Hehehehehe, if I'd had done what they'd had done I'd be off with the rest of the world for a good six months (if not much longer!!)! I think it's amazing that female animals in general do so well after speys...it's a HUGE op!!!!

I had some nice soft material bedding left for their litter tray which they're loving and laying in. They ate it when I used it before, and I didn't like that, but they're not in the mood now, so I'm using it. It's absorbant for any seeping of the wounds, and nice and comfy and warm!! :D

Cool glad they are home safe and sound :) So glad I never know what goes on when my bun is under else I'd have a heart attack with the stress :lol:

Nicola

Maaike_Butter said:
for any seeping of the wounds

God! I hope there's none of that! If there's any seeping, I'd take them back to the vet pretty sharpish. Glad they's fine though, just keep tempting them with nice things to eat. Nose rubs from Scotland :wink:

Some tiny seeping's ok, Lynda, you usually don't even notice it, but it happens a tiny bit. Both girls have had a little seep out and it's been caught up nicely. It all looks very good from my vantage point, but I won't stress them out and examine anything until tomorrow...lol They hate me enough as it is. ;)

Both are quiet and a bit out of themselves, but looking bright and there's been some eating. They've spent some time on the hot water bottle, but are now both off it. I'll replace it to the side of the cage for the night sothat they have the choice, they're not in need of warmth anymore now that they're totally awake and able to regulate themselves, but they might appreciate some warmth on their ouchies...awwwww

I'm off to bed, although I know I'll be waking up several times tonight to have a look at them and check they're ok...:)

Really glad everything went well for them, Hope they had a good night....and you got some sleep!

Well, they're doing very well! I did wake up a couple of times, which they didn't appreciate... :oops: Mom, turn that bl**dy light off, we're trying to get some sleep!

Xena's doing slightly better than Binky, eating more, etc, although I think it might be because of the increased anaesthetic they used on her. I don't know if they added any more long-acting painkiller to it, so it might just be that she's still more comfortable than Binky is. We'll see.

They're both quite quiet, but have both eaten their greens, and Xena's eaten some pellets. I'll take them both later and hand-feed some more greens. My main concern at the moment is encouraging them to drink, as they've not been doing that...hmmmmmmmm They got water from the vag yesterday, but that's not going to tide them over for long. They're not dehydrated, but I'm off to work in a couple of hours and I want them to be 100% before I leave...

Maaike_Butter said:
Xena's anaesthetic wasn't quite strong enough and she got quite light during the beginning of the op and surprised everyone. .;)

Awwwww Maaike - Too much information for me Gal - I'll never get Zac done at this rate :lol: :lol: (Just Kidding matey)

Real glad both the girlies are home and comfortable - sounds like you need some matchsticks today to keep you awake in surgery then - eh! - no sleeping on the job!!!!

Sending snuggles to the girls - hope they continue to feel better - they will soon be back binkying around the place no worries.

Thankfully I'm only off to my new part-time job, where I can sit down...I do believe I need some caffeine pills to keep me upright on the chair, though. lol

I've only seen it happen once where an animal lightened during an op, it's really very rare, and thankfully here in the UK we've got very well-trained nurses who do nothing but monitor the anaesthetic during an op, so it's dealt with straight away. I know in some countries, nurses help with ops, handing instruments, etc, so they have to be sterile and don't keep as close an eye on the monitoring of the anaesthetic as they should. When I'm in theatre I'm taught to solely monitor what's going on at that end, and the vet gets on with his business. If he needs anything, he calls to another nurse to do it.

Maaike_Butter said:
I've only seen it happen once where an animal lightened during an op, it's really very rare, and thankfully here in the UK we've got very well-trained nurses who do nothing but monitor the anaesthetic during an op, so it's dealt with straight away.

Thanks Maaike - you know what a wuss of a bunny mum I am.

Whats that "snoooooring :!: :!: " sorry Maaike I thought you'd dozzed off! :lol: :lol:

Back