• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fat Bunny

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
The vet said last night that Bea is a bit chunky, what is the best way to get her weight down a little? The vet said it wasn't anything to worry about, but I don't want her getting fatter and fatter.

Hi I should cut down on dry food, she has lots of hay already but I could up it.

She and marly has a big dog dish of dry food (russel rabbit), lots of hay and on the evening she and Marls have a large caserole dish of veg with always consists of:-

broccoli, apple, couple of segments of oranges, celery, carrot, tomatoes, a tiny bit of cucumber, spring greens and cabbage. Occasionally she has a little bit of dried brown bread. There is always dried food and hay left the next day, but never any of the veg.

She is a total free range house bun she has plenty of exercise and her favourite thing to do is run up and down the stairs, so she should be burning a lot off.

Yep, I agree with Lynda, cut down the dry food. With all those yummy veggies she should need hardly any dry food at all :D

If there is some left the next day that tends to be an indication there is too much, bunnies only need a bunny sized dish ;) About 50g per medium sized bun per day. It does feel abit mean but veggies taste nicer anyway and are better for them and hay is great for their inside and their teeth :D

Tam

Yeah there is always quite a bit left the next day, I will cut right back and see how it goes.

Thank you
:D

I havent had Treacle and Fudge weighed recently but I think Satins are larger than average? I weighed their food for the first time yesterday and worked out that they get through 100g of dried food each a day completely emptying the bowl! plus a piled up tea plate of veggies and lots of hay!!! :? Though they don't look over weight!

As always, Tam's totally right and beating me to it! lol

Rabbit's food should always be weighed out, really, and the same amount given every day. Dry food is only a complementary thing, anyway, the bulk of the diet should be hay, and then veggies...only at the bottom of the list do you get dry food. :D

bunnyhuggger said:
cut down pelleted food, fruit and any treats and up the hay, hay and more hay! :wink:

Huh, Auntie Lynda is right again, I'm a bit chubby (mum says I am a couch potato bun) and I've been put on a diet too. Thanks to Auntie Lynda all I get now is hay, hay and more hay :roll: I'm just waiting for her to send me the Bunnyhuggger Bunny workout video :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol (not as chunky as I was) Aggie and her mum (Pam)

My bunny Pip is slightly tubby too so I've cut back on her dry food and although she eats loadsa hay, she eats even more now!! Cos she is a bit older, her fat tends to drop so you can feel her bones on top but there is this fatty bit dangling underneath!!

Since cutting down dry food she has lost weight and doesn't seem to mind the reduction. It is def the dry food that puts the weight on!!

Nicola

The reduction of the pellets should definitely help. Rob had to lose weight as he was a bit of a chunky boy :oops: - I didn't reduce his veg at all, if anything he gets slightly more, but his pellets were reduced to about 20-25 pieces of SS, twice a day (not sure what that weighs :? ).

The reduction of pellets also helped tempt him to nibble at hay/grass.

He has now lost a quarter of his body weight :)

Well, this is 50g on a standard size human saucer:

food_pellets.jpg

touie said:
I think my buns would cry if they were only allowed 20 ss pellets!

Nah, they don't cry - they've got lots of tasty veggies on top of them, and only find them when they get to the bottom of the bowl, so they're normally quite full anyway. :)

They always have nice fresh hay if they still feel hungry :)

Tamsin said:
Well, this is 50g on a standard size human saucer:

food_pellets.jpg

No Way :shock: they get through ten times that. I have really been over feeding, I buy the large sacks of Russel Rabbit around £15.99 and it lasts a month.

Yea, but muelsi mixes like Russel Rabbit are different. Just make sure you read on the bag how much you should be feeding every rabbit...

I do tend to give mine more pellets in the winter than in the summer - does anyone else? My buns are out in their shed and, I feel, they need more fuel to keep them warm in the winter.

Towsbuns said:
I do tend to give mine more pellets in the winter than in the summer - does anyone else? My buns are out in their shed and, I feel, they need more fuel to keep them warm in the winter.

Yep, me too Jules, but not an awful lot more. Keeping themselves warm in colder weather burns up more energy/body fat. But it's difficult judging just how much more to give them :roll:

Back