• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay question?

The Fonz

Warren Scout
Hi there!

Sorry if I'm repeating posts that have been on here before, but my fiance told me today that he found a really quaint little farm shop near our town, and they sell huge bags of hay and sawdust really cheap. I was just made redundant on Saturday, and I'm not entirely sure when I'll be back at work. I have interviews lined up and blah, blah... on with the topic at hand. Fonzie's been on Pets at Home hay since forever, and I just wondered if farm hay would be healthier/better for her? And can I just change her hay straight away or would it have to be a gradual thing like food? I'm just checking because although the farm hay is cheaper, if it's going to be a bit dodgy I obviously won't get it for her. Any suggestions anyone? I'd be grateful for any help or advice!!

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Ive never changed hay over gradually.. and not had any probs.
If you go to teh farm shop, who most probably does have better hay that pets at home, check that the hay is greenish and smells sweet.
Im sure they will be better.. they are often alot cheaper than pets at home.
Good luck with the job search too
:D

I buy mind buy the bale from farms (due to the amount that we use)and have never had a problem.
Just check that it's green and sweet smelling as Diddeen has ssuggest and you'll hopefully never go back to p@h hay again.

Hi Emma, Definately change Fonzie onto the other hay. P@H hay is more like chaff for horses. I attempted to use it once in an emergency,they all looked at me as if I had just handed them poison :lol: The farm hay should be green and sweet smelling like Tracy said. I bet Fonzie will tuck into the hay like never before. There's no need for a gradual change hay won't harm their tummies like pellets etc can.

Angela

Mine won't eat pets@home hay. It bears little resemblance to the real stuff. I buy farm hay by the bale. They all love it. You just have to watch out that is isn't musty and dusty. The outside bale of a stack might not be up to the quality of the rest of the bales. Smelling a handful is the best way to tell if it is fresh.
I don't think you need to switch slowly.

That farm hay sounds great!! Wish I lived near a farm!! xxx

As I'm in the City and the pet shops that actually do sell anything for bunnies have really rubbish hay - I order mine off the internet - West Willows they sell great Timothy hay which is lovely and fresh. Whenever I get emergency pack from other sites or shops Darcy certainly notices the difference!! He still eats it but as soon as the Timothy Hay comes hes biting at the bag for it!! :D :D

Hi there!

Thanks for all your replies! I really don't know that much about Hay... the Pets at Home stuff certainly isn't green, smells nice though, but this batch I've just got appears to be quite dusty, it varies from batch to batch. I've also noticed that Fonzie isn't eating it like she used to. She would eat hay like it was going out of fashion, but now she barely touches the stuff in her hay rack :? Does hay go off? Would it be okay for me to leave it in the shed where it's nice and cool until it's all gone? I'm really looking forward to buying this hay for her now! I hope she likes it!! :D

Good luck with the job search too

Thank you! I have an interview in the morning, and some application forms arrived for me yesterday, so fingers crossed!! :wink:

Take care & Blessed Be,

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Hay doesn't go off as such but after its been opened for a while it loses it's smell, which is quite important when trying to get bunny to get hay. Most of P@H stuff seems to vary from batch to batch. I use their shavings and they very quite a lot. Fonzie needs to eat as much hay as possible so give the farm hay a try and see if she likes it.
Keeping hay in the shed should be fine, if you can see if you can get a pallet and then set the hay on top of that rather than directly on the floor. Incase there's any rain and the bale gets damp. Damp hay isn't good for a bunny the spores can cause respiratory problems. Don't wrap the bale in sealed plastic bags as the hay will start to sweat which means you end up with damp hay. Um watch out for beasties crawling into the hay though :wink:

Angela

The hay I bought today from P@H is horrid, it smells mouldy and damp

I am not going to use it and will take it back tomorrow :evil:

We're going down to the farm tomorrow to get some hay! I'm beginning to worry about how excited I am about buying hay, though!! :lol:

Um watch out for beasties crawling into the hay though :wink:

erm... perhaps the shed isn't such a good idea! I can't even go in there to get food out of the outdoor freezer! It's like "hmmm... I can either go in the shed, see tonnes of disgusting spiders and get food, or starve. I think I'll starve!" :shock:

The hay I bought today from P@H is horrid, it smells mouldy and damp

I am not going to use it and will take it back tomorrow

Yeah, this batch I've just got is really dusty and horrible :evil:

Take care & Blessed Be!!

XxXxX Emma XxXxX

Was thinking about indulging the buns in some Timothy West - is is really as good as they say ??

On an icky note, I used to get compressed meadow hay when we stayed in a flat; once found a compressed dessicated wee mouse in a batch......... :(

Hay

Hi

My buns have a few varities of hay. Ive got hay from the pet shop, timothy hay and vitakraft hay with dandilion and hay with nettle - they seem to prefer the dandi and nettle hay and timothy hay, there not too keen on pet shop stuff but they will eat it!!

xx

Hi Missblondebunny where do you get your timothy hay from??

Mine are on Oxbow timothy but its very expensive and one bag only lasts about 2 weeks and at £8.50 a bag its a bit silly!!

Bunnysam (a Kentarian) x

Hay

Hi

The last lot i got was from a woman near newcastle, i purchased a run from her online shop along with loads of accessories and she sent me some timothy hay. her web address is:

www.rabbits-online.co.uk

I do also get them from ebay, most of the time they are between £3 and £3.50, so its not too bad

Hope ive helped!!

Back