• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help! smokeys not eating!

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
she usually eats her food as soon as it's put in the hutch but when i went out this morning she had'nt eaten her food from the night before and she still hasnt when i came home today, shes also shivering. she does'nt want to eat hay either. what shell I do?!

You could try the usual....infacol, syringe feeding, tummy rubs etc, but seeing as Smokey hasn't eaten since last night, I'd try to get her to the vet tonight. The longer you leave it before a bunny eats, the worse it is, especially if they haven't been drinking either.

Call up your vet. Rabbits guts can shut down very quickly if their not eating and she may need drugs to get it started again, painkillers and fluids if she has become dehydrated. You vet will also be able to examine possible causes.

In the mean time keep her warm and offer her water and any of her favourite foods to see if she will be tempted.

This is an emergency and its really important you get intouch with your vet asap.

Tam

omg, thanks guys. I'll try and get her to the vets as soon as my mum comes back. my dad was saying we should leave it till tomorrow but im worried about her :(

tell him that you cant leave it until tommorrow as far as i am aware stasis can kill them within a very short space of time.... this is an emergancy if she is not eating and she is shivering. get one of you parents to phone the vet and tell them its an emergancy!!!!!!! tonight!!!!

I've showed my dad this and we are going to call the vets as soon as he pick's my mum up. I've never been to the vets so would they be open in the evening? We're having a bit of trouble getting her into the pet carrier, she does'nt like it in there, at least she's running around a lot.

If I was you, I'd phone the vets and tell them you're on your way. If you find out what time they're open until, you might be ablew to avoid an emergency call out charge, or similar. My vets are open until 7, but this varies, obviously.

It depends on the vets, my practice opens until 7.30pm but others close around 6pm. It might be worth giving them a call now to check the opening times and then they might be able to fit you in at the end if you need a later appointment.

Tam

do you have a pets @ home near you they have a late clinic and an 24 hour emergancy service, give them a call.

Most vets will have out-of-hours emergency care, I believe it was made mandatory a while ago.

It's always best to call first instead of just showing up.

I just took her down at 7.00pm, she did'nt like it at all, the vet was checking her bum and her mouth, me and my dad had to hold her down cos she was jumping all over the place, I suppose it's understandable really though, poor thing :( . She's got some kind of gut infection and we have to inject this siringe into her mouth. We've got another appointment on Friday at 7.00pm for a checkup so hopefully she'll be eating by then. She's in her hutch now, not doing much I think she's still in shock or wore herself out from jumping about so much lol.

smokeys owner said:
I just took her down at 7.00pm, she did'nt like it at all, the vet was checking her bum and her mouth, me and my dad had to hold her down cos she was jumping all over the place, I suppose it's understandable really though, poor thing :( . She's got some kind of gut infection and we have to inject this siringe into her mouth. We've got another appointment on Friday at 7.00pm for a checkup so hopefully she'll be eating by then. She's in her hutch now, not doing much I think she's still in shock or wore herself out from jumping about so much lol.

did they say what sort of infection she had, what medication did they gibe you and could you not possible keep her in doors so you can keep an eye on her? hope she gets better soon

xxx

Oh I hope she gets better soon! At least you have an idea what the problem is so you can now start to work on making her better. I am sure she will get through it.

Hoping she feels a lot better soon. I am so glad you took the advice here and got her to the Vet. Thank Dad as well

fingers crossed for Smokey, I am sure she will start to feel better once the medication starts to kick in :) I am glad to hear that you have a very supportive mom and dad :D well done to you for noticing something was wrong and well done to dad for getting you and smokey to the vets :)

Back