• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unlimited pellets?

My 5 month old boys are fed on rabbit excel, they are still on unlimited amounts. I am wanting to put them on the lite, but when can I do that? Also should they still be on unlimited? I'm sure they are still growing.

Love
Rachel xx

If they are still growing there is no need to put them on the light mix its only for dieting buns. I dont know when to stop feeding unlimited but when you do have to restrict feed half to a quarter of a cup per 6lb of rabbit. If you restrict the excel normal correctly so the rabbit is not overweight there is no need to put them on the lite version.

They probably are still growing but feeding unlimited pellets can mean they eat these rather than hay. Its really important they eat plenty of hay to keep they teeth healthy.

So I would gradually start cutting back. As adults aim for medium sized rabbits to have about 50g each per day. So I'd start by working out how much your currently feeding them and weigh out 50g so you can see what it looks like then you can gradually reduce it.

There is no reason why you can't feed a mix of the two types of pellets, that way you can give them a little longer with the higher protein on the standard brand whilst introducing them lite version at the same time.

Tam

My vet recommends lite for all rabbits because it has the highest fibre content of the Excell range (although I haven't swapped my bunnies over as I haven't seen the 15kg bags of lite for sale yet).

When I changed Zeus from the Junior pellets to the standard Excell I was also cutting down from his previous unlimited volumes. I did this at the same time and he seemed fine with it although he did refuse to eat the standard pellets at first.

Caz

My lecturer on small furries (excellent vet) said that my 3 month old girls (at the time) should be on limited amounts of Excel. Bulk diet of hay, supplemented with pellets, and of course veggies once introduced.

Back