• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vet Bed

luvabun

Warren Veteran
I've noticed my lovely little darlings have torn some of the vet bed to shreds and its all mixed in with hay/straw as bedding. Am I right in presuming it can't do them any harm if they decide to chew it or should I remove it? Humph!!! And all I was doing was trying to keep them warm and toasty :D

I had a vetbed for Darcy and he has been ripping it to bits. It hasn't done him in any harm and hes had it a good few months. I've now chucked it as it is looking very sorry and mangled!! :lol: xxx

If they ingest big bits of the fuzzy stuff it can cause blockage. It's not means as food, so I don't think it's all that safe. If that's really all your buns are doing, you're probably best throwing it away...don't want a gut blockage!!

luvabun said:
I've noticed my lovely little darlings have torn some of the vet bed to shreds and its all mixed in with hay/straw as bedding. Am I right in presuming it can't do them any harm if they decide to chew it or should I remove it? Humph!!! And all I was doing was trying to keep them warm and toasty :D

My buns rip their vet bed up too.. but also snuggle up on it so I'm reluctant to remove it unless it's dangerous for them.. but am guessing it's probably not as otherwise vets wouldn't use it :?

I do wish buns would be more appreciative of what we're trying to do for them :lol:

Amelia said:
My buns rip their vet bed up too.. but also snuggle up on it so I'm reluctant to remove it unless it's dangerous for them.. but am guessing it's probably not as otherwise vets wouldn't use it :?

I do wish buns would be more appreciative of what we're trying to do for them :lol:

At the vet's the patients don't generally stay long, so don't get much of a chance to rip them up. I've never really seen a patient do it, as they're too busy being ill or recovering from their GA...they're designed to be beds, not food...;)

This is such a stupid question I'm sure, but I'm going to ask anyway! What is a vet bed?! I've never seen one and wonder whether I should be getting one!

Vet Bed is a type of bedding originally used at Vet Practices, but is now commercially available. It's a fleece type bedding, and is used so much because ALL liquids will soak through the bedding onto whatever's underneath. This leaves the animal dry and comfortable. In practice, animals will bleed, wee, drool, ooze, etc onto their bedding, and if it's not moisture-wicking like this is, they lay in a puddle of their secretions, and it can get uncomfortable and cold. Also accidents like drips coming out means that the animal's not cold and wet.

You can get Vet Beds at most pet shops, but the cheapest place I've found them is Ebay. There's a seller that sells them all the time who I've bought several from. It's always excellent service and the vet beds are good.

It's usually cheaper to buy vet bed by the roll. You can also get pro fleece, it's much the same thing. Auntie Pam brought some of her spare vet bed through to CARROT and it's been invaluable to us! (thanks again Pam, from us and the bunnies :wink: )

bunnyhuggger said:
It's usually cheaper to buy vet bed by the roll. You can also get pro fleece, it's much the same thing. Auntie Pam brought some of her spare vet bed through to CARROT and it's been invaluable to us! (thanks again Pam, from us and the bunnies :wink: )

That was because we got the work experience boy who gave us 40m for the price of about 4m :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol Pam

I was really lucky tonight too - our local safeways has become Somerfield and it opened today for first time. I bought my usual weekly rabbit veggies and the boy on the checkout couldn't get a price for the brocolli I bought loose - so he charged me 45p for the lot!!! its usully about £3/4!!!!!

Lucky you, Romy!!!

Who sells VetBed by the roll?! Would be a good thing to know, and pass it on to work, and for myself next time I need some new!!??

Hi yes vet bed is very good, it is useually used for sick or nurseing animal's, you don't need one to keep the bun's warm as they don't like too much heat.

Polly .

Vet Beds won't keep an animal warm unless you put them on it and then fold it over them again (as we do with small furries, and some cats, recovering from a GA). Just a vet bed under a rabbit won't keep it warm, or make it any hotter. It's a comfortable and useful bedding, I always recommend people to put their buns on it if they can afford it!!

Maaike_Butter said:
Vet Beds won't keep an animal warm unless you put them on it and then fold it over them again (as we do with small furries, and some cats, recovering from a GA). Just a vet bed under a rabbit won't keep it warm, or make it any hotter. It's a comfortable and useful bedding, I always recommend people to put their buns on it if they can afford it!!

I have a slightly different opinion on this, vet bed wrapped over a small animal after anaesthetic is a good idea as they can't generate enough body warmth to keep themselves warm. I suppose it's the same as when a human is ill (bodily compromised) and all the body heat collects round the vital organs to keep them working properly. However, with a healthy bun, a bit of vet bed under them traps warm air between the fibres of the vet bed and acts as a reflective radiator helping to keep the bun off a cold/hard surface and retain heat. When a bun sits in a 'meatloaf' position with front paws tucked under on a bit of vet bed, all their body heat is kept central and assists in keeping them cosy. :D Just my opinion though :wink:

I do tend to agree with you Lynda. I think that having Vetbed to sit on helps them to keep warm, as you say the heat gets trapped between the fibres, and transfers back up to the bun. My bun always feels lovely and warm when she has been sitting on her vet bed - she loves it!!

Nicola

Oh yea, totally agree with you there, Lynda, it is a nice heat "capture" device for underneath, but I don't think it'll create excess heat for the bun. The earlier post implied that vet beds shouldn't be used for healthy buns because of the heat factor, but I don't think that's true. I don't think enough warmth is generated to be detrimental to a normal bun's health. :)

Back