• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whats the biggest breed? caz maybe one 4 u!!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
we are looking to get a BIG bunny rescue of course, but want to know what breed is the biggest?

other than housing is it pretty much the same as having any other bun or do they have more health probs or anything?

maybe caz is the person to ask with that gorgeous zeus......

thanks

I believe the Flemish Giant is the biggest breed. Thats what it says in my book "funny bunnies" you should get it - its got gorge pics of all breed of bunnies!! xxxxx

The larger breed of wabbit is best for house buns as they can't get into all the small nooks in your home!! big softies too xxxxxxxx

The larger breed of wabbit is best for house buns as they can't get into all the small nooks in your home!!

You can say that again :lol:
It is also true that the larger the breed the more friendly they are - I think that goes for dogs as well.

Giant papillon, British giant and big french lops are all huge too. But still require other buns to be social with and sheds instead of hutchs to live in.
:D Big buns are the best

Continental Giant is the biggest breed I believe, just pips the Flemish Giant/ British Giant and French Lops at the MONSTER sized rabbit post ?? :roll: :lol: :lol:

Adele said:
Continental Giant is the biggest breed I believe, just pips the Flemish Giant/ British Giant and French Lops at the MONSTER sized rabbit post ?? :roll: :lol: :lol:

yep continental and british giants r the largest breeds
becky

Is it also true that bigger buns don't live as long? I was quoted approximately six years. Also, are they more prone to certain health problems?

Yes :( i was told four years for French lops...but I just love Darcy so much I'd rather four years of love and cuddles than none at all..they are sooo worth it :D

Adele said:

All the more wabbit to wuv!!! :lol: :lol: xxx

You should tell the publishers of "funny bunnies" that they go it wrong! They should check out this forum - much better advice and info!! The pics are really funny and gorgeous in the book tho of all hte different breed of buns! :wink:

Continentals (like Zeus) are the biggest (otherwise known as Vlaamese Reus - sp?) - they had to invent a whole new ring size for them as they outgrow British giant ones!

The vet said they often have heart and lung trouble as the organs just can't cope with the larger body mass such as what happens in humans with gigantism. Funnily enough they aren't suppost to have teeth problems :? !

Because of their larger size they only reach about 6 years max (usually 4-5 :( )!

Housing wise: sheds or indoors as they love to run as with normal bunnies but just need that much bigger space to really stretch out and binky of course ;) !!

Caz

Thanks Toby!! I'm very much hoping that I can keep Darcy going for lots longer than 4 years! :D

Caz - you're dead right about needing the space. Darcy is already bigger than the pics I have up here and its hilarious watching him binking now - my heart just explodes with love - he flings his body around in the air and then big thud back on the floor!! hee heee (sorry for being so soppy :oops: ) :D

They also eat a lot more than the smaller breeds so make sure you can afford him with all the other bunnys too. I'm still suprised how much Darcy packs away!! but then he can't beat me in the overeating stakes.. :oops: :lol: :lol:

xxxxxxxxxx

Caz said:
Continentals (like Zeus) are the biggest (otherwise known as Vlaamese Reus - sp?) - they had to invent a whole new ring size for them as they outgrow British giant ones!

The vet said they often have heart and lung trouble as the organs just can't cope with the larger body mass such as what happens in humans with gigantism. Funnily enough they aren't suppost to have teeth problems :? !

Because of their larger size they only reach about 6 years max (usually 4-5 :( )!

Housing wise: sheds or indoors as they love to run as with normal bunnies but just need that much bigger space to really stretch out and binky of course ;) !!

Caz

thanks caz, i do love reading your stuff, its like you swallowed a bunny med book, its great i cant even say the prenounation for that that alone spell it,, hope zeuz is ok, he is definiately an insperation!!!

Probably does mean that Maaike - but for some reason as soon as they cross the UK border they become continental :lol: ! I was told they were originally bred from Flemish giants but are a seperate breed so am very confused.

Bigger bills is right - I have to use a huge litter tray and get through loads more litter, hay and pellets with him around - he can pack away a lot of veggies too - then come the vets bills - my vet still smiles as he punches in the rate for "small animal" as Zeus is bigger than a lot of his doggy clients!

Although all the giants I have met have been really loving my vet swears a few of the ones he has seen have been nasty but these have been mainly unspayed does.

Caz

Vlaams is Flemish, and Reus is Giant, so I think someone got their wires crossed along the way. :lol:

Might try to find a breed book or something to find out.

I got told by a vet i went to the bunny show with in bradford that they have orthapaedic problems.

Back