• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New rabbit hutch and run protection????

Hi bunny lovers

Im going to get Fudge and Leo a new hutch, a nice big one with an attached run.

The only thing im worried about is that as the hutch will in the garden, im worried they will dig holes and try and escape. Our garden is not fenced in at all so the buns could wander off anywhere.

Has anyone got any cheap good ideas, to make the pen more secure? and how can i stop them escaping and digging holes whilst im at work??
Is there someting i could put around then run maybe?? Thats not bulky and ugly!!

I know our garden needs to be secured, but we just haven't the money at the mo, and our garden is huge!!!

xx

If the run is to be permanently in one place then I would lift the turf and put rustproof wire down then replace the turf on top, this way the rabbits can't dig out because the wire is there but also don't have to walk on wire all day. If you plan on moving the hutch around the garden either fix wire to the bottom of the run or have a wire panel that you can put under it whenever you move it.

If the run is to be permanently in one place then I would lift the turf and put rustproof wire down then replace the turf on top, this way the rabbits can't dig out because the wire is there but also don't have to walk on wire all day.

Great Idea! :)

Toby said:
If the run is to be permanently in one place then I would lift the turf and put rustproof wire down then replace the turf on top, this way the rabbits can't dig out because the wire is there but also don't have to walk on wire all day.

Great Idea! :)
I have them rarely :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another solution

Hi

Just had another idea - because the run is going to be detachable, im going to put a block of wood in as the base, that way it can be moved easier without me having to lift up a run full of heavy grass!!! :)

The base can be taken out so they can still run about the 'squashed' :lol: grass!!

Ive managed to find someone who will make a hutch to my requirements and at good prices :D :D :D
Hopefully the hutch should be ready in a few weeks

xx

My first idea was only if the run was going to be permanent - otherwise, why not galvanised wire panel to lay on the lawn and place the run on top of it - easy and light to move around and buns still get grass to nibble on.

Have you looked at the shed, hutch discussion which was going on earlier? You could still have a run coming off the side with a cat flap style opening.

Janice

Back