• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help please (long message)

bunola

New Kit
Hi,

I have a 3yr old dwarf lop male and his female friend was PTS last Saturday. They had been together since they were 10 weeks old.

For the past few months she had been ill and therefore didnt run around.

Yesterday we brought home a gorgeous dwarf lop female, from a rescue, we were told she is about 9 months old and recently had a litter.

When we put the two together at the rescue he ignored her but she kept putting her chin under his. After a few minutes he got fed up of this and went at her and she stood her ground and fur flew.

We brought her home put her in the hutch and locked the door and left him to roam as he normally has free access to his hutch pen and the garden. he took up residence outside of the hutch watching her and now again they would both have a box at the mesh at each other, then ignore each other for a while.

This morning we did the car ride in a box. No fighting in the box, brought them home let them loose in the kitchen and few scuffles.

She moves a lot quicker that his previous friend and I think this may be part of the problem.

As the male has always had access to the garden and downstairs of house, should I try upstairs for neutral territory?

How long do I give the bonding process?

Would speying help or should I wait to see if they bond before considering this?

I really want this work as she is lovely and I do not want him to be on his own.

Hiya

It may be that you moved a bit quickly re. putting them together. Most ppl would advise letting them see and sniff eachother through the bars for a week or two, then introducing them slowly (on neutral territory, which would b anywhere neither of them have been).

It would prob help getting her spayed, as females can be quite territorial. Some bondings do take longer than others and it does take time and patience.

You need to take things at a slower pace, as it may be you are going too quickly for him. Bit like us really, we don't make friends instantly!!

Good luck :D

Nicola

Hiya,

The bonding process can take months, it would be a good idea to get her spayed.

I find little but often meetings are very effective. I put them together and as soon as it seems like it might kick off they are slit up and returned back to their beds. I also did the bunnies in a box trick yesterday, but I split them up as soon as we got in and I will take them on a few other box rides before I try them together on the floor.

Please Try not to rush the process, because it will be quicker in the long run and I truly believe you can bond any two rabbits as long as you have the patience and time. Maybe for a couple of hours you could put him in her cage and let her wonder around where he normally does, so they can get use to each others smells without being in conflict.

Bare with it, it will come good.

Below bunnies I've bonded, I am trying to bond all four now, so I do know how disheartening it can be.

Pic006.jpg

Pic002.jpg

Some rabbits fall in love at first sight, some not. For some others the ride in a carrier trick works, others not.

It appears yours are going to be a bit trickier. I would think that having her speyed and letting her live where he can get used to the idea of her while she recovers would be the best idea. You could let her out to hop around his territory while he stays in her hutch sometimes to get them used to eachothers' smells. Once she is well enough to risk him humping her - not sure how long this is, somewhere between 2 to 6 weeks. Anyone? Then you could carry on with closer introduction sessions, upstairs perhaps where it is neutral. And her hormone levels will gradually drop, so somewhere along the line they will come to find they want each other permanently.

Back