• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ok, right, so I don't know diddly squat...teach me please?

Hey everyone,

I've been pretty arrogant at times thinking that I know what I'm doing.

I don't. Sure, I can get through the day at work and not kill anything, but at home, with the buns, I don't really know what I'm doing!

I see so many of you guys with lovely house rabbits that cuddle with you on the couch, hop around your feet, etc.

How did you do it? How can I achieve that with my girls? I wouldn't say they're scared of me, but I'm not their choice of companion. Cuddling does NOT happen. When I've let them run about the flat, they either hide behind the couch (and most likely wee all over the place), or go under my shelves and dig up a corner of the carpet...

I know they'll probably settle down a bit after being speyed in the next couple of weeks, but...how did y'all do it? Teach me!!

Hi Maaike, please don’t beat yourself up about it. I doute you are doing anything wrong at all.

As we all know every single rabbit is different, in personality and appearance. If your rabbit(s) are timmed it really isn’t your fault but this doesn’t mean you cannot teach then to be more comfortable. Maybe spend more time on the floor with yours buns, and give them loads of nose rubs. Toby loves it when i stroke his nose with my index finger. Weeing and digging is normal – have they been “fixed”? Toby chews all the time! His a right little sod when his out….in fact his always been mischievous! The main thing is to spend as much time as possible with your buns, hold and cuddle them as much as possible.

Sitting on the floor and feeding them treats seems to be the best way to get them used to humans. Mine all hate being picked up, but most of them can't resist climbing on me when I am at floor level. I discovered this week that rabbits love rocket - that might be a good treat to try. And you can share :) Yummy.

And it will be easier once they are spayed.

Hi - We (me and the fella) were thinking about this the other night. Michael just doesn't really want to know us. We have brought him inside now which has helped us get to know each other. But looking at others with your gorgeous bun's cuddled up on beds etc made us wonder why Michael isn't choosing us :( . The other night though I was layin on the floor watching tv and he was all over me - I think he's shy and not had much contact with his previous owners - at least its reasuring that hopefully his character will really come out! :love:

Yo Maaike Gal!

Hey become Bunny Gal! - with my three I spend loads of time at ground level to get their trust - even when I'm feeding them and cleaning out trays etc. When they jump into their hays trays I give them lots of reasurring strokes and nose rubs, and while I'm at ground level they are normally more than happy to try and climb me and explore - mad bunsters!

I can only echo whats all ready been said really it takes loads of time and patience and every bunster is individual - Zac is more needy in human two foot company that the two girles but they both run and greet me for nose rubs every morning (couldn't be anything to do with feed time of course eh :lol: )

Plus they are given mini mot's - i.e teeth, bottom and nail checks and clips and grooms with loads of fuss so they get into the routine that being handled is nothing scary.

I doubt that your doing anything wrong girl - Your bunnies are just being well ..... Bunnies - keep at it Gal - you'll get there.

I know exactly what you mean Maike. I had a girl mini-lop years ago and she was no where near as affectionate as Darcy. Basically, as what everyone else has said, all rabbits have their own personalities and preferences. Lying on the floor is the best start. They might ignore you a bit a first but THE best way to get a rabbits attention is to ignore them! :D Try lying there reading your book or mag in front of you. They will slowly start coming over to check out what you're doing - no doubt sitting on your book!! :lol: Have some celery or their fave snack in your hand. Let them nibble it from your hand - don't let go of it. This way they slowly learn to trust you and that coming to you is nice. Gently start stroking them as they eat and don't reach to pick them up. It will come with time.

You sound very loving and perfect bunny mummy, they just sound like a bit more nervous bunnies. You are doing everything right - just takes a bit of time xxxxxxxxxxxxxx :)

Thanks guys.

The main problem's been that I've not been able to let them out without them hiding behind the couch. I let them out this morning and they've been angels! Just a few naughty things, and I squirted them with water and they were fine again! They're running behind the couch again but not sitting there, and if they wee, well, I'll clean it up when I move out. ;)

I've rebuilt the cage as I just wasn't sure of the stability of the other one I built. It rattled and swayed, in my opinion. Scared me! Only problem is that it doesn't fit into the space properly anymore, as I didn't buy a saw to cut short the support poles. So it's now sitting in the middle of my room, as my drive through all of Bristol at 16.45 yielded only closed shops and a frustrated me...*sigh*

They're out and running about now, and they're being great!!!

Maaike, dont not worry as long as you put the effort in then they will like you or be affectionate (when they ssee fit!!)

My 3 dont seem to like cuddles or being picked up but oout of the 3 I have more success with Eamon he will go along with being picked up but Thora and Anna its a big no no in their book! I sit on the floor with them and they seem to still ignore me, even if I hold out treats!! Sometimes they have a little sniff but after awhile they carry on about their business. They obviously dont need me hehe but I think because there is 3 of them they cuddle each other etc etc.

Squishie will sit and be stroked and run to you when you come in the room.

They are all soooo different.

To be honest, I don't do anything with my rabbits. Each one is different, I have some that love cuddles, others definitely prefer bunny company... I don't force them into anything... Everyone does what they like best and are with whom they like best!

So I wouldn't worry too much. I just accept animals as they are. Let them approach rather than you them!

Vera

I have to say I did read on a website and also a book recently that apparently boy bunnies are more affectionate towards girl two feet and vice versa for the girl bunnies. I don't know if thats true but from my own experience a boy does seem to be more needy and loving. :wink: xxxx

the first he/she rabbits!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: possibly a wee bit too drastic!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

I block up the back of my sofa and have given my little bossy bunny a tunnell from this website http://www.westwaleswillows.co.uk/bunnytoys.html they also deliver timothy hay which is great. It might just help them being more social with you if they can't hide behind the sofa...xxxxxxxxx :wink:

Romy said:
I have to say I did read on a website and also a book recently that apparently boy bunnies are more affectionate towards girl two feet and vice versa for the girl bunnies. I don't know if thats true but from my own experience a boy does seem to be more needy and loving. :wink: xxxx

I think it depends on the rabbit. Bramble (female) was very affectionate towards me, cleaning me, curling up with e and sleeping on my pillow, but wasn't anywhere near as affectionate to Anthony, and some of the boys are closer to Ant than they are to me, but some of the girls are also closer to him than me, whereas the some of the boys prefer me.

Our boys tend to be very macho though, they like hugs when nobun else is looking, but hate being picked up in front of another buck. Obviously there isn't that much difference between the species :)

I don't like them behind the couch, as I don't know what they're...ahem...doing. If you know what I mean! lol Don't want a stale wee smell coming at me in a week's time!

But everything I put infront of the couch is pulled away! EVERYTHING!!!!

To stop my 3 going behind the sofa, I stuff newspapers in there as tightly as I can!! This way it will take them for ever to get them out!!

Mine are not all over me but if I`m on the osfa not moving they will jump up and have a sniff around allowing me a pat here and there.

bronie

I find the best way to get rabbit attention is to ignore him!! The more i call Skip and make a fuss the more he ignores me :lol:

I think sound is important as well, just the tone of my voice lets everyone know who i'm talking to (baby voice for Skip!!).

Romy said:

Ive found that too - Dylan my first bun adored me :D no kidding. Used to jump up and sit on my back when I was lying on the bed or floor watching tv etc. Lulled me into thinking this was normal behavior for a bun who was handled a lot. The girls were totally different; prefered their company to mine....Once the hormones ( and then the fighting ) started i was too busy hoping everything would settle down between them to bother about how they reacted to me - as long as they didnt kill each other!

Otis was gorgeous, cuddly and curious until he got the snip.....then he was best mates with Ella without trying to jump her all the time. I do get cuddles and the odd curious bun coming up to nose me etc - but like everyone else has said each bun to their own !!!!

If I pull it away from the wall, it's in the middle of the room... :oops: :oops: :oops: Yea...ahem. lol

I've put all my old folders infront of the holes. I expected them to take one look at them and fall asleep with boredom but no. Lol Xena did make one attempt to scale the folders, so I put something on top. She tried one more time and kind of got stuck (I panicked, don't hurt your ribs!!!), don't think she'll do it again. lol

No saw was produced by any of my friends tonight, so it's first thing when I get home tomorrow evening. For now, the cage is in the MIDDLE of my living space...*sigh*

The girls seem happy enough with it, though, so I'm content. They've been running around the flat, and have caused almost no problems, I'm so proud of them!!!

Back