• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Madam Cookie and her poo!!!

Kara

Warren Veteran
Hi folks

Wonder if any of you out there have any similar problems and could help me out a bit please.

Every now and then I go to collect Cookie to put her in the run and she is caked underneath with soggy poo, it looks like what happens is she does a runny one (and we have narrowed thsi down to maybe her being afraid ie the bad wind we have had lately unsettling her) and then all the normal size poops get stuck to the underside, and we end up with - best way to describe it is a poo flap :lol: now Iam quite happy to clean her don't get me wrong but it's not very fair on her is it??

So really what I am starting to worry about is the weather getting warmer (hmmm maybe?!) and flies as she had a case fo flystrike last year which I never ever ever want to see again - Both will be having rearguard this year

Now originally I put it down to her not eating her ceca wootsits as her incisors were overgrowing and she was getting clipped but now her incisors have been removed and she usually cleans really well but cant seem to manage when she has excess poop.

In the long term should I but some clippers and keep her fur shaved back 'down there' as when she was shaved for treatment before she had no problems (she is a very fluffy bunny down there!)

Or maybe put her on pro biotics as a long term thing I don't know much about them ie can bunnies go on them for ever or are they more a short term treatment as again when she was on them beofre we had no problems.

Food wise she has minimal dry food Natural pet food company herbs n fibre and lots of hay, I cut out greens as these seemed to make her worse.

Any advice would be gladly appreciated!

ps sorry for the essay!!

:? Hmmm thought someone would have been able to help you.
Anyway looks like your stuck with me love :D Pro Biotics would be a good place to start with as its good bacteria I can't see why prolonged use of them can cause any harm.
You could always try not giving her pellets/mix and go for the hay and water diet like Rally is about to with Evo and see if that helps. Maybe she just has a really sensitive tummy and can't handle processed pellets/mix.
I think clippers might be expensive, you can get dog grooming scissors. They have curved tips so when you are trimming the curved tip is pointing away from the skin so less chance of nipping the skin. Angel gets his fuzzy whatsits trimmed once a month as he's extra fuzzy down there too :lol: He likes to dig in shavings and it always always get stuck to him there. So trimming stops the shaving sticking.
Hopefully someone else might be able to help.

Angela

Hiya Kara :D
I would think this problem is related to her diet, personally I would pop her on a hay only diet, add probiotics to the water (for a month at least and thereafter at regular intervals) and you should see a huge difference in a few weeks.

We have rabbits here that arrived in this type of pickle guts wise, and they only have a strictly hay only diet now, no greens, no veggies, no fruit, no grass, no dandelions, Hay! Hay! and more hay!!..oh and a piece of French toast twice weekly!! :oops: :oops:
Nothing more, nothing less, and as most bunnies here are 5 plus, full of vitality and never have dirty bots, then we must be doing something right :wink:
Some rabbits do not tolerate dried food of any sort so perhaps your rabbit is one of these :wink:

Hope this helps, but you have to take action and be strict about the diet..rabbit boot camp here we come :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you both for your advice, right on to hay only and lets see what happens.......

Fannnnnnnnnnnnnnk youuuuuuuuuu :D

that was interesting about the hay only diet. One of my buns seems to be developing a few digestive probs. He gets a runny bum about once a month and has big mats of fur round his bottom that I'm going to have to get clipped soon. But it would be really difficult to restrict his diet as he shares a cage and the other bun is fine and looks forward to his veggies! Dilemma ? :?

You know I can't help with problems Kara but I certainly am waiting for you to give us a lovely baby :lol: :lol: :lol:

Touie, is there any way you can seperate your rabbits at feeding times? I have to do this with 2 of mine, Jessie isn't overweight (although she is a bit podgy now :oops: ) where as Monty is a lard a@@ so he gets out on his own for a couple of hours at night so he can have diet food and Jessie has normal food. Monty also has had baldder probs in the past so needs low calcium veggies and again he gets out of his own to eat them otherwise he'll stuff his face with greens and kale, not good!

Angela

Well I think I'll try and cut down on the greens for a while and see if that helps, if not I'll have to try and separate them for feeding though will be quite hard as I already have one rabbit that has to be kept separate.

None of the buns are over weight but Treacle has really fine fairly long fur, I have a comb and a brush but neither are much good for de-knotting Treacle's fur!

Is it Treacle who has the squidgy bum probs? If so you could try trimming his/her fur around that area and then hopefully the squidgy one's won't get stuck in his/her fur. You can buy the curved scissors from petplanet, should be under dog grooming or maybe your vet or a pet shop.

Angela

yes it is treacle with the squidgy ones!!! I'll have a look for the curved scissors. He def needs a trim I am a bit worried about cutting him by mistake though, he's so dark its difficult to see what your doing! :?

I've found the best way to trim without nipping is to do it like a hairdresser would. Put the fur between two fingers and have your fingers against the skin, then trim off the fur that sticks over your fingers. That way if you nip anything it will be your fingers and not the bunny! Em not sure if that makes any sense, hope it does!
If not let me know and I'll take some pics to explain it :lol:

Angela

Yes it does make sense thanks! :) Next time a visitor pops round I'll get them to hold the bunny so I can tackle those nasty fur balls!!! :D

Back