• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Bun, sick bun: How do I make her not hate me?

lauren K.

Young Bun
Hi. I posted on here a few days ago about a new bunny that I just got that was spayed the day before I brought her home. SHe is in pain now, and wasn't eating, so I took her to the vet, got painreliver, appetite stimulant and Critical Care food. I have to feed her out of a syringe twice a day. Problem is, she HATES me now. I have to go up there, and take her out of her cage that she hides in the corner of (wont come out herself unless there's no one about). The I rap her in a blanket and syringe feed her (I tried letting her eat it off of my fingers, but she bit me hard!) I only want her to get better, but everything I do to help her makes her distrust me more and more. She's thinking: "who is this big person who made me get in a box and drive far away to the emergency bunny vet, who always has to turn me over and check my tum, and pick me up and wrap me in a blanket and force feed me, who has to stick her hand into my private cage to check the litrter box for pellets, etc." Because I just got her, we have no basis for a relationship.

Is this relationship doomed? What can I do to make her trust me? Everytime I make a bit of headway, then I have to go ruin it by picking her up for another round of force feeding!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh Lauren, my heart goes out to you 'cos she obviously does not realise you're doing this for her benefit (a bit like children really). i would just hope that, with your care, she will get better then you can build and strengthen the bond. Is she able to eat any veg or anything other than the recovery stuff? If so, you could give her a slice of carrot or something else nice then leave her be so she doesn't associate you with just nasty stuff. Bunns do pick up on stuff very quickly as I've found to my peril/advantage regarding getting the little rascals into the hutch after their freedom. good luck.

oh bless ya, could you not bring her in doors for a couple of days, where she can see you, and she may get used to you being around and stoking her for no other reason than you can, not just to force feed her.

shes been through a bit of a stressful time, with travelling, new owner and spaying and the discomfort of the op. so she is going to be more stressed and on the defensive.

i would try that if you can

good luck

She won't be poorly forever. You can worry about making friends with her when she's well again. She'll forget about being syringe fed after a few months of head tickles and carrots. It's obviously a set back, and it'll take a while to regain her trust, but I don't think you're doomed. There's a lot of poorly buns arriving in rescue centres getting prodded and poked every day and yet still leaving the rescue centres as bright friendly bunnies.

I really don’t think she hates you – she is probably just really nervous about what is happening. Weather she understands that you mean well or not, she is nervous, so I really don’t think she hates you. The love we get from our pets in unconditional.

Oh, sweet, she doesn't hate you! Not YOU, but what you're doing. Like the others have said, as soon as she's on top of things and feeling better, she'll forget about all the other stuff.

It's hard, though, isn't it? I felt really guilty and awful after I found out Xena was deaf because I thought she hated me for being mad at her, and punishing her with taps on the nose because I thought she wasn't listening (when in fact she wasn't hearing)...but I she forgave me within a matter of days!

Just do for your bunny what you can, nurse her, make her well. As she starts to feel better, and you're the one there helping her feel better by feeding yummy food and treats (treats are the way to a bunny's heart!!!), she'll love you, promise!

*hugs* Get through this rough time, and you'll get on really well. Didn't you also have a boy bunny, or am I mistaken? If so, don't forget to cuddle him, too! If not, whoops!

Remember that rabbits (and other animals) that come from the pound/rescue centres/etc often have had no human contact or any they have had has been frightening. It takes time, effort, and a lot of love to win their hearts over, but once you do, they often make the most loving pets!!!!

I'm in the same situations as you. Dru was spayed 3 weeks ago and I had to syringe feed her for a couple of days beacuse she refused to eat. She still doesnt trust me but shes warming up day by day. The first week she ran away as soon as I came in the room, but now (many treats later) she sometimes lets me give her a quick nose rub :)

Thanks!

Well, thanks for all your kind responses, I do feel better if I remember that she will get well (knock wood).

As to neglecting Coney (the boy bunny), that's not really possibble. Every time I come in the room he sniffs me and licks me and runs circles around my legs until I pet him. I can't even read a book in the same room as him, because he keeps jumping on and off of my lap. At least someone appreciates me!

Thanks again.

Just to add to what everyone else has said - Ive only had to syringe feed once, though this was on top of syringing medicine so I was not popular as you can imagine. Although bunny food has come on leaps and bounds by now we were recommended by the vet to try baby food too ( the dry stuff you make up) must have been tasty as he used to lick it off my fingers. I then progressed to putting Dylans favourite stuff - including treats - through the food processor. Getting her well is you first priority, like everyone else can testify buns will forgive you ! :D

Re: Thanks!

lauren K. said:
Well, thanks for all your kind responses, I do feel better if I remember that she will get well (knock wood).

As to neglecting Coney (the boy bunny), that's not really possibble. Every time I come in the room he sniffs me and licks me and runs circles around my legs until I pet him. I can't even read a book in the same room as him, because he keeps jumping on and off of my lap. At least someone appreciates me!

Thanks again.

Oh, how wonderful that he's doing so well!!! I'm sure that seeing Coney being happy with you will encourage your girlie bun to be happy with you, too. Just give her time. Think about how grumpy you'd be if you were in her shoes!!!

Back