• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
Evo had another stasis attack last night. :( 3 questions for you....

The vet has suggested that we feed him just hay for a week to see if that will settle the digestive system. Will I need to give him any extra vitamins during this week, or will it not matter for one week? Is it actually a good idea to do this?

Will he be hungry? :(

Are porridge oats bad for bun tums? We have been using them as a treat, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that they can make bunnies bloated.

Any other advice would also be appreciated....ie what we should do when the week's hay diet is up?

My vet always says they can live perfectly well on hay. I don't think he'll suffer from vitamin deficiency in a week, and if it's going to be a long term thing you could get vitamin drops for his water. I'd go along with the vet and stick to the hay and water and don't worry about him being hungry. If he's hungry he'll eat the hay. My lot spend 23 hours out of 24 with nothing to fill their bellies with except hay and water and they do just fine.

I think with Evo having so many tummy troubles, this is probably the best plan. :(

Poor Evo, hope he's back on form soon. Have you or do you already use probiotic in his water? I seem to recall there's one on the market that has extra fibre in which may help. I'll have a look see what I can find.

oh dear not again!
Poor Evo.. and you Laura.. it is strange he has these so often.. i wish the vet would find out what is causing them so much.
Hope the hay diet does the trick for this week at least.
:?

i think he should be ok i know many people who had had to there bunny on the hay and water diet as there rabbit was over weight but they were fine with it
becky

Does anyone thing Evo's problem could be dental spurs? The increase in length and severity of attacks point to it, and the fact that his tummy often isn't very bloated....he just won't eat.

Awwwww - Evo Bunster just what are you like - got us all on a Roller Coaster again.

Soz I couldn't remember from earliest postings how bunny savy your Vet is - could not a thorough Dental Check see if Spurs were causing the probs for our Fav Bunster Bunny?

RE the Porridge Oats - Buffs regularly has a small amount of dried porridge oats mixed in with some baby food - this is because she previously had a weight prob and this helps keep weight up for her - never had a problem with any GI Stat Attacks with her but I know every bunny is individual and I've heard that some bunns can don't tolerate too well.

Sending a snuggle for little Evo.

I'm pretty much positive it's dental. My vets are kind of bun savvy, but sometimes I have to suggest stuff to them. :? And I hardly ever see the same vet 2 times in a row.

Will get him booked for a dental check up, I have a week off work, so it'll be an ideal time. One vet look at his teeth a while ago, with an 'ear examiner' (I don't know the name for it :lol: ), and said he could possibly see one small spur, but it wasn't big enough to do anything about, I guess it may have grown now, or there may be others. We'll see.....

im afraid i dont knwo anything about dental spurs.. but if he had one wouldnt he be in constant pain and not eat at all until it removed?? He eats in between the bouts of strange tummy upsets doesnt he? Or do spurs fall off/wear down or something?
I hope you do get to the bottom of all his troubles real soon.

Sorry to hear about Evo's stasis :( I was also going to mention dental problems, as it is one of the major causes of rabbits not eating, then building up gas and going 'into stasis'. Vets sometimes do say that spurs are not big enough to cause problems, etc, but rabbits like humans are individuals, and what will cause one no pain will be dreadful to another, and cause them to stop eating.

I know a couple of vets who can carry out a full mouth inspection (and back teeth) without anaesthetic, but some vets (and owners) prefer the bunny to be knocked out to do this :shock:

Definitely, Rallybunny, if this were my bunny, I would get the teeth looked at and 'done' :)

MightyMax said:
Sorry to hear about Evo's stasis :( I was also going to mention dental problems, as it is one of the major causes of rabbits not eating, then building up gas and going 'into stasis'. Vets sometimes do say that spurs are not big enough to cause problems, etc, but rabbits like humans are individuals, and what will cause one no pain will be dreadful to another, and cause them to stop eating.

I know a couple of vets who can carry out a full mouth inspection (and back teeth) without anaesthetic, but some vets (and owners) prefer the bunny to be knocked out to do this :shock:

Definitely, Rallybunny, if this were my bunny, I would get the teeth looked at and 'done' :)

I'm definitely going to get him checked, the can do a proper xray while he's under, to see if there's any trouble with his internal organs too.

The reason why I've suddenly thought that the problem could be dental, is that the attacks are becoming more and more frequent (as the spurs grow bigger?) and the fact that the tummy often isn't all that bloated when we take him to the vet. The poos very rarely stop for more than 1/2 a day, and that could be because he hasn't eaten because of the pain in his teeth.

He is still quiet now, but has eaten a little and had a little run around.

Oh right.. sounds like it could be his problem then. Glad they are going to do an xray of his tummy too incase there is some sort of blockage going on down there. Hopefully they will sort his teeth out if that is the problem.
I hope he is back to his normal self soon.
Will he take anything from a syringe if he wont crunch things?

Back