• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vegs that you think are ok to give everyday!!!

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
hi i tend to give my lot what ever is fresh out of the fridge.

but wondered what you thinks is good to give every day and what you would give just once a week?

I think each bun is different and its best to try one thing at a time and a bit at a time and keep an eye on the poos for any changes.

I have a large tupperware container that is kept in the shed and in this is chopped up: Carrots, spring greens, brussels sprouts, broccoli and sometimes curly kale - they have a large bowlful of this mix every day - the piggies get the same - this veg is bought specifically for the critters and is what they have regularly . On top of this they have other bits and pieces when we have them in the house: parsley, cucumber, tomato, pepper, parsnip, strawberry, grape, etc.

luvabun said:
I think each bun is different and its best to try one thing at a time and a bit at a time and keep an eye on the poos for any changes.

hi thanks but i was not enquiring about introducting veg, just wondered if there was a veg that people would not reccommend giving ever day due to nutritional values

My guys tend to get Spring Greens and Romaine Lettuce every day. Added to that are at least 2 more vegetables like carrots, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, sweet peppers, suga snap peas, broccoli, spinach etc.

Vera

Some bunnies cannot have too much calcium so high calcium veg such as curly kale would not be recommended for them. To be honest, I don't know if any other veg shouldn't be given every day - mine are happy on what they have every day so I am sticking to it.
I have a new bun who has only ever had carrot and brocolli so if gradually being introduced to a few other veg and we will await any reaction - so far, so good.
One of my buns seems to react to too much dark leafed cabbage (gets a bit of a runny bum) so I don't give that often if at all.

i wondered is apple and carrot was ok to give ever day because of the sugar? and how do you know if they cant have calicium what are the symptoms?

thanks

Mine were getting carrots and cabbage nearly everyday the other week as there was some reduced but I think variety is the spice of life. As it happens poor Zeus won't be getting any veggies for a while so I will have to reintroduce him slowly :(.

Usually a bunny with too much calcium in their diet will have a thick white coloured urine, sometimes this may go a bit sludgy. I just make sure all the high calcium veg such as kale is fed in moderation - even though it is their favourite!

I believe hay and grass is the only thing vets recommend can be fed everyday in high quantities!

Apple should be a treat as it can be too acidic according to most sources but saying that my friend gave me two huge bags of apples and Zeus and Athena got these everyday for two weeks with no ill effects!

Caz

My lot get Carrot everyday then a varitey of Vegetables/Greens/Fruit to go along with this.

One Veg I wouldn't feed everyday is Cabbage as it REALLY makes there wee smell! :lol:

Louise

Ollie has a wide variety, I always give her carrots although she never ever seem to touch them (I thinks she odd), but she favours brocolli, cucumber, potato is her fave, sweet peppers and cabbage - but only the really dark ones!

bunnylove said:

Can they have fruit fresh out of the fridge? I've always left mine to reach room temp before giving it to Ollie or the others?? :?

ollie said:
Ollie has a wide variety, I always give her carrots although she never ever seem to touch them (I thinks she odd), but she favours brocolli, cucumber, potato is her fave, sweet peppers and cabbage - but only the really dark ones!

I would avoid feeding Potatoe as its very starchy.

Louise

ollie said:
bunnylove said:

Can they have fruit fresh out of the fridge? I've always left mine to reach room temp before giving it to Ollie or the others?? :?

My lot tend to get a mixture of straight out of the fridge and stuff that is at room temperature.

Louise

I've been told not feed my rabbit too much lettuce. Apparently this is not good for acid in bunny tummies. Also not too much carrots - they can turn their pee red with the acid (so the breeder I got Darcy from told me anyway).

He wolfs down a bowl of celery, mini corn-cobs and broccoli.

xxxxx :)

ollie said:
bunnylove said:

i meant what i had in the fridge (ie at home) and was still well (fresh) not gone bad.

HI

Hi everyone

i have never given my bunnies lettuce, and never will, as its bad for them. I also read somewhere that u should never give a bunny veg that has come straight out of the fridge.

I keep my bunnies veg in a big tin, which is kept outside, so its not too warm and not too cold.
If they were in the wild they would prob eat them at ouside temp's anyway, so i keep them outside.

They have a handfull of veg everyday, which can consist of

Parsley
Basil
Dill
Chives
Thyme
Mint
Corriander
cauliflower
cabbage
carrots
baby sweet corn
green beans
kale
apple
parsnips
broccoli

they seem to eat all of these, but scampie aint too keen on parsnips, lol, but loves his parsley and dill. I did try rosemary once but they never touched it!!

Im also trying to grow herbs in a window box, but they aint grown much and ive had them for nearly a month - must be the cold weather, :lol:

Back