• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me with this Bunny problem!!

Holx

New Kit
Hi all, Hollie im new here and lookig for help!! Ive been adviced by someone who knew this site and said you could help me!

Right. well the story is;
About 2 months and abit ago, a friend of the family had a domestic rabbit, which has been disowned by its owners, in her back garden since may. She didnt have the first clue on rabbits and as soon as she told me about it, i told her to catch it for me and id take it on.
About 2 weeks after having this lovely female dutch rabbit she gives birth to 7 babies!! and yes these babies are certainly Not Dutch rabbits, they are Half Wild :!: :!:
So i now have a problem! they are now almost 8 weeks old and are taking after the father, basically they are very wild!
The thing is i was only meant to be taking on one rabbit here, not 8! and i dont know what to do with the babies. Can any one offer me any advice on what i can do with them? I dont think i could pass these off as domestic rabbits to a pet shop!
Any advice id be most greatful for!

Holx

A question asked in another form that i had this topic in.
Romy wrote:
Hia and welcome! Sorry to hear about your extended wild family! How do the wild ones act (sorry if thats a really stupid question -I'm just a bit dim!!) xxx

Um? ..Well basically as the meaning is, wild! they are very timid, Bang their feet like Crazy when trying to pick them up, Scrach you and some times sqeall when picking them up. Their mother is Lovely, shes got the sweetest nature, so they certainly dont take after her but im sure if they were seperated and given alot of attenchion they could be abit like her. I suppose being all together they work eachother up when anything happens i.e being picked up.
I would love to beable to do this but i already have my plate full with my G.piggys! and i just dont have the room for them. these will grow big like there mother!
Might have found someone who could help already, But im still open for advice just incase! So please anyone who can help, let me know!

we had this happen with a rabbit that we took in a few years ago. It was obvious once they left that nest that we would never be able to tame them.
I'm afraid that once weaned they were vaccianted for myxi and then put in a run with noe contact.
We gave them pipes and an inclosed hutch and feed them through the run mesh.
When they were ready they dug themselves out. We caught them up and released them on a disused railway line.
They didn't even stop to say goodbye just speed off.
We felt that this was the best that we could offer them as they were so wild they would have ended up having heart attacks if we had tried to keep them.

rngpwelfare said:
we had this happen with a rabbit that we took in a few years ago. It was obvious once they left that nest that we would never be able to tame them.
I'm afraid that once weaned they were vaccianted for myxi and then put in a run with noe contact.
When they were ready they dug themselves out. We caught them up and released them on a disused railway line.
We felt that this was the best that we could offer them as they were so wild they would have ended up having heart attacks if we had tried to keep them.
I have thought of letting them go but i think because they have been brought up in a warm environment (a large heated shed.) and they have learned to depend on me for the food. Letting them go in this cold weather, after providing all that ,i think would be unfair.

I'm afraid that once we had made the choice to let them go and put them in that run. It was just over the christmas period and two days after they were put in there we had the hardest frosts we have had in a long time for 10 days .

We sort of took the attitude that if they could survive that they could cope with anything.

Hopefully they had a good life

rngpwelfare said:

that was a lovely story :D I do like to see animals in their natural environment, and these bunnies obviously wanted to go back home to the wild :D

Hi Holx

Glad to see you here (it was me that pointed RU out to you). I hope someone can help you!

As you know I have a rabbit with a wild father, and although Angel shows a lot of different behaviour to normal domestic rabbits, she is friendly and not aggressive (though more nervous than any other of my bunnies). So I guess I am lucky.

Best of luck with finding them a suitable home. From what you are saying, it won't be easy!

Vera

Perhaps your best option would be to find someone with a large enclosed garden that they can have free roam of (with a suitable shelter). Or a large enclosure. You might find a local childrens farm or similar may have large enclosures for rabbits but you must be very careful about these and check the condditions they are kept in. Some of good but other are very bad!

If they are now just over two months old its essential your friend gets them sexed and seperates out the boys and girls to prevent more babies appearing. It would be a good idea to get the boys neutered as then they can live as a group.

Tam

Back