• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teethless rabbits

janice

Wise Old Thumper
I am a fosterer for an animal rescue centre and I have just taken in a house rabbit who has previoulsy had his front teeth removed. Can anyone offer me any advice on looking after him or things I need to be aware of.

Sorry to hear that - I can't give you any advice I'm affraid. Hope it goes okay. Why on earth did they remove his teeth though? Is that even legal? Surely its cruelty? :x

Nope, front teeth are removed on a quite frequent basis in some practices. Sometimes it's all the vet can do! Some rabbits just have really bad jaws and teeth, and the front teeth grow so badly/crookedly that they have to be removed.

I know there's a couple of people here with toothless rabbits. Try asking Jay from Ebony Eyes?

teethless bunny

They were removed due to malocclusion about a year ago :cry: . He is much happier now that he doesn't have to have them clipped every few weeks. He has been living as a house rabbit for the past year and cannot chew wires or skirting boards etc. :wink:

Re: teethless bunny

jrn1310 said:
They were removed due to malocclusion about a year ago :cry: . He is much happier now that he doesn't have to have them clipped every few weeks. He has been living as a house rabbit for the past year and cannot chew wires or skirting boards etc. :wink:

Gosh, I had no idea about all these teeth problems :oops: :cry: . Mine chews on so much that I haven't had to get them clipped - I always get them checked at the vets when we go to get his manicure and pedicure :wink:

I wish I could help you and bunny - I hope you get good advice soon xxxx

Romy, teeth problems are one of the most common reasons (if not THE reason) rabbits are taken to the vets. Especially with the large amount of inbreeding nowadays, we see some rabbits with jaws that are an absolute mess...crooked, soft, completely deformed, etc. Tooth problems in rabbits are as common as...well, common stuff. lol

Heavens!! I guess I've just been lucky. I had a mini lop years ago and she was the same as Darcy - teeth never had to be clipped only the nails. Mind you....the state of my flat from Darcy's nashers...a few less teeth would be nice!! :lol: JOKE :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Hia, will you be keeping the tootless bunny? I feel so sorry for him! What breed is he and do you have any pics? xx

I am afraid I won't be keeping this rabbit. I am a volunteer for a rescue and oversee the guinea pig rehoming and normally foster around 5 rabbits until we can find forever homes for them. As a fosterer we keep all the animals until homes can be found or old age or nature takes its course, until that time their home is here with me and my family. We are only a small rescue with no actual rescue centre, if I kept any of the animals we have rescued for ourselves, long term it would mean that we could not assist the numbers we currently do at the moment. Sometimes one extra empty cage makes the difference between life and death to some poor animal, thats the main reason I don't keep any animals for myself anymore.

A picture can be seen on our rescue website

http://www.animalrescueandcare.org.uk/animals.asp?i=342

Hi

I think that toothless rabbits cope really well with no front teeth as they grind everything with their back teeth. As it has been done for a year (that's right isn't it?) the gums will have hardened up and he will be fine eating normal food. They pick things up with their lips, very adaptable!! We had a bunny in rescue whose front teeth had to be removed, we chopped up his veg a bit smaller for him and gave him mushy food for a few days but after that he was back to his normal self! I'd keep him on whatever he has been used to, perhaps chop veggies up slightly smaller but I find they cope better with no teeth than wonky teeth!!

I'm sure that somebody will come along who has experience of owning toothless bunnies, as I have only worked with them.

Nicola

Re: teethless bunny

jrn1310 said:

sounds great want to swap with kymber ha ha !!!!!!!

Kymber can come and sit under my table on a nice sheepskin with Sweet Pea ... I know it isn't a very masculine name but thats what he came in being called :?

I have never had a 'proper' house rabbit before, but I am glad to say the problems everyone seems to be complaining about don't seem to be happening. My skirting is intact, my wires are not touched, he uses his litter tray ... what more can I ask?

Romy, I'm lucky like you! The vet exclaimed with delight that the girls' teeth are in wonderful condition! I'm so lucky!!! We're so lucky! :lol:

Same here :) I've been so lucky with my buns!! Pippa is 5 and a half, she went for an op last October, vet said he filed some small spurs but for 5 years old thats pretty good going as he said they were nothing major! And vet looked at Amy's teeth and said they are brill too.

I think we can count ourselves very lucky, all of the stories I've heard and seen!!

I do feel soo lucky!! Must remember that next time Darcy has chewed my new shoes! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Sweet Pea is such a cute little bunny! I hope it works out for him very soon!! xxxxx

Rabbits with no front teeth cope fine.
As you say they can't chew and I always use it as a selling point for people looking for house rabbits.
They are still the same as normal rabbits but they can't nibble so if they are to have fresh grass it needs to be picked and given to them. Other than that they need all their fruit/veg chopped or shredded so that they can lick it up on to their tongue and can then be passed to the back teeth to be ground down.
A word of warning don't chop them to small or the back teeth don't get enough of a work out. You will also need to keep a special eye on it's back end as they find grooming difficult during moulting and sometimes seem to forget their botty's

We reguarly have front teeth removed in the rescue rabbits if that is all that is wrong with them. At least it then gives them a chance to be re-homed. In fact one was done yesterday and has come back happier than ever and is now busy munching on his veg.

Buns without incisors get on just fine. The only things you have to remember are: cut veggies up small or use a potato peeler to slice; groom them often cos the don't have teeth to use as combs; check their bottom regularly cos sometimes they can't get a grip of the caecal poos and they end up squished to their bums and the soles of their feet; and make sure you groom particularly well around the bit above the tail and the soles of their feet. I think that's all ..............

Oh and they can still eat hay if you chop it short for them, this helps keep the back teeth ground down. Our toothless buns eat Supaforage without any difficulty too.

Back